Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Liron
Level 2
11 6 0 5
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Re: Tells me you must sign in to this device to install updates. I signed in to the device and in...

Unknown

Hi,

I have a new computer.  I installed HP Support Assistance and added my HP printer, but when I look for updates on the new PC, it lists my old computer and tells me "You must sign in to this device to install updates". In other words, I can only update the printer from my old computer, not the new one.

I have removed the printer from HP Support Assistant on the old PC and the new, added it back in on the new PC, ran check for updates and messages on both PCs several times, but still get this message when checking for printer updates on my new PC..

Both PCs have the latest version of HP Support Assistant (veersion 8.8.24.33) and the latest Windows updates.

How can I get HP Support Assistant on my new PC to not complain about printer updates?

1 REPLY 1
Liron
Level 2
11 6 0 5
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Re: Tells me you must sign in to this device to install updates. I signed in to the device and in...

I solved the problem.

I deleted the old computer fro my profile on the old PC and added it back in.

In HP Support Assistant on both computers, I logged out and in and this appears to have fixed the problem.  Note that originally, HP Support Assistant was logged in on both computers and to the same username, and the new login was to the same username.

I also added HP Support Assistant to my smartphone.

I found that on one of my computers, there were two devices for my old PC, one with a shortened product description and another with the full description.  I removed the one with the shortened description.

On the smartphone, there were all sorts of printers listed, in particular printers I had stopped using from a few years to 13 years, and which I had removed from HP Support Assistant on my older computers and/or not added to my newer computers.

There is also an entry on my smartphone for a device that's really not a device.  One of the devices has a product number which is really a one year warranty extension for my old PC (which I did get).

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation