Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My iPad is a recent acquisition, I expected to be able to hook up to my 8500 A909.  The iPad is a far more important contributor to my business than a printer, so it stays and the 8500 gets retired to the kids, or sold.

I have not had the 8500 all that long, and it was purchased based on the fact it was one of the better reviewed printers on the market at the time.  I made the mistake of buying it thinking it was a small business class multifunction device and would get the support via upgrades to firmware.

What mechanical changes are made from one 8500 variant to another?  Or is it all done with firmware???  I bet the degree of change in the hardware (electronics and mechanics is minimal).  There is no re-tooling of manufacturing process if it is all done by a golden screw driver.

I had a few years buying a new HP notebook every year, then I realised the software and firmware updates only come out for a short period after release (bug fixing only I suspect).  I had switched from Toshiba to HP.  I expected firmware and software updates to come as regularly as the Toshiba ones did. 

I just recently moved on from HP notebooks to another brand and so far I am delighted with it.  There aare heaps of brands to choose from, and I made a choice, but this time with an expectation that it would be good for suport for a year or so and then I upgrade again.

My next printer purchase is about to happen.  It won't be HP.  I need one that will work with the iPad and will continue to work with it for a reasonable period of time.

Fortunately most printer manufacturers make the printers cheap and the consumables expensive, So I am off to find a printer that supports AirPrint, has large, reasonably priced, ink cartidges, and incorporates a scanner.  And I will look at the vendor's forums to shorten my short list 🙂

Customers have choices, as do vendors.  Sometimes vendor's decisions have consequences.

HP Recommended

Install HP iPrint Photo on your Iphone. You'll be able to print pdf documents as well as with airprint.

choose Open In... HP iPrint and print on your 8500.

PLEASE GIVE US THE UPDATED FIRMWARE with AIRPRINT FUNCTIONALITIES and a working HP Digital Imaging Monitor software for windows 7 64bit. I would like to see what I could make with it...

Sorry for my "venting" OT.

Claudio

HP Recommended

I have to add my voice to the clamor for an update to the firmware for the A909g. I know HP sells printers so they can sell ink, and doesn't make a huge profit on them, for the most part. HOWEVER... to support Airprint IS JUST A FIRMWARE UPGRADE!!! Good grief! Really? This printer is Old News now? You can't expect the home-office user to whom this printer is targeted to spend hundreds of dollars on a printer only to find out it doesn't do something that a simple firmware upgrade will take care of, and that other cheaper printers being sold at the same time can do. I've been buying HP printers since the first inkjets came out, but this will be my last unless they provide this simple but very useful feature.

HP Recommended

ahhhhhh

so 6 months ago i could print from the great HP printer app on the ios app store, now you updated the app with one that wont work with my printer WHY????

can't i have my old app back that works with my printer?

why not just release updated firmware for my printer?

i think the best thing to do (to save money on ink) is buy a budget £40 printer, use it until the ink runs out, then buy another new printer and continue that way your sure to have the latest printer all the time

HP Recommended

Turns out AirPrint requires 802.n and the A909G is only 802.11b/g, so it's more than just a firmware upgrade. The A909 is a 2009 model printer, and the A910 is a 2011 model printer. These two sub-models are not really all that identical except that they take the same ink cartridges.

HP Recommended

I'm also very disappointed that a printer that I bought <1 year ago can't support the Airprint.       I've upgraded to get print functionality before... but this is a first.

It's telling that when you Google 'HP A909g' - one of the top choices in the look ahead is airprint.

Does HP have any kind of upgrade program to upgrade the wifi hardware or printer itself?

That would go a long way towards good will.     I'm willing to pay something, but to junk a printer that could be upgrade is crazy and environmentally unfriendly.

HP Recommended

HP's customer support team (that may not, in fact, be the right "team" name) offered me a pretty good deal on upgrading my existing printer. I was still cash-out-of-pocket, but ultimately I decided to do it. They have a "trade-in/trade-up" program that you can ask about, and because I was so unhappy they cut me an even better deal, and I got the A910. I found this same printer for about $180 "on the street" (might have been Costco) but I paid a lot less, and it made it worth doing. After all, like most printer manufacturers, they don't make much on the printer itself, looking instead to make their money on the ink cartridges. (That is another topic of discussion which doesn't belong in this thread.) I must say I am happy I took the upgrade. The A910 is a lot more than just upgraded looks. The touch-screen is MUCH better than the old one, which was entirely too small and very difficult to "nail" the right button. This new one is much larger, and much nicer to use. Also, for whatever reason, even using my old cartridges from the old printer, the color is better and much truer than on the old printer. And, of course, Airprint works from my iPhone. It also supports 802.11n which is much faster. Even though I don't have an n network yet, I'm glad that, when I do, this printer will take advantage of it. Overall, I am glad I spent the extra $$. HP took care of me, mostly. Good for them.

HP Recommended
Please help me understand how to make this print her work with mt apple 5.0 devices
HP Recommended
Unacceptable. This is the second and last time you've withdrawn printer support prematurely on me. I will buy a new printer, but it will not be an HP.

Sincerely,
David Noble
HP Recommended

Don't you guys ever sit around a conference table and discuss important and substantial problems that your clientele may be encountering, instead of drinking lattes everyday.  FIX THE #### eprint or airprint to the 909g series.  Also it would be nice to have a couple of "motivated" employees fix your whole website, so that you don't go around in circles and keep revisiting the website, you were just at.  It can't be that hard to direct a person with a specific question to one web page addressing the issue as opposed to a webpage that also says "buy a new HP Printer", etc.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.