Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8610

I kept getting error message "black ink cartridge is damaged" so I replaced with a new cartridge but the problem still persists. I need help please. 950Xl cost a lot and I have 2 new ones. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@TT27

I suggest you do a Hard Reset on the printer

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.

(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Use an automated tool to clean the printhead

Follow these steps to clean the printhead.

NOTE: 

If the printhead is badly clogged, you might need to clean the printhead several times to restore normal print quality.

CAUTION: 

Never turn off the printer when ink cartridges are not installed. To avoid issues that require cleaning the printhead or that can damage the ink system, always replace ink cartridges as soon as possible, and always turn off the printer using the Power button.

1. Load plain white paper into the tray.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to scroll to Setup, and then touch the Setup icon (). The Setup menu displays.

3. Swipe the display to scroll to Tools, and then touch Tools.

4. Touch-Clean Printhead.

NOTE: 

Mechanical noises during the cleaning process are normal.

5. When the first cleaning stage completes, a test page prints. Examine the test page for print quality.

• If these steps resolved the issue, touch No to skip the other cleaning stages. You do not need to continue troubleshooting.

• If the issue persists, touch Yes to start the second cleaning stage.

6. When the second cleaning stage completes, a test page prints. Examine the test page for print quality.

• If these steps resolved the issue, touch No to skip the last cleaning stage. You do not need to continue troubleshooting.

• If the issue persists, touch Yes to start the last cleaning stage.

7. When the last cleaning stage completes, a test page prints. Touch OK, and then examine the test page for print quality.

Refer to this document: https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8610-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5367603/docum... for Color or Black Ink is Not Printing

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for joining the HP Community.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@TT27

I suggest you do a Hard Reset on the printer

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.

(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Use an automated tool to clean the printhead

Follow these steps to clean the printhead.

NOTE: 

If the printhead is badly clogged, you might need to clean the printhead several times to restore normal print quality.

CAUTION: 

Never turn off the printer when ink cartridges are not installed. To avoid issues that require cleaning the printhead or that can damage the ink system, always replace ink cartridges as soon as possible, and always turn off the printer using the Power button.

1. Load plain white paper into the tray.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to scroll to Setup, and then touch the Setup icon (). The Setup menu displays.

3. Swipe the display to scroll to Tools, and then touch Tools.

4. Touch-Clean Printhead.

NOTE: 

Mechanical noises during the cleaning process are normal.

5. When the first cleaning stage completes, a test page prints. Examine the test page for print quality.

• If these steps resolved the issue, touch No to skip the other cleaning stages. You do not need to continue troubleshooting.

• If the issue persists, touch Yes to start the second cleaning stage.

6. When the second cleaning stage completes, a test page prints. Examine the test page for print quality.

• If these steps resolved the issue, touch No to skip the last cleaning stage. You do not need to continue troubleshooting.

• If the issue persists, touch Yes to start the last cleaning stage.

7. When the last cleaning stage completes, a test page prints. Touch OK, and then examine the test page for print quality.

Refer to this document: https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8610-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5367603/docum... for Color or Black Ink is Not Printing

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for joining the HP Community.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

This worked, thank you.

HP Recommended

@TT27

I'm glad to hear you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution!

Take care now and do have a great week ahead.

:)Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.