Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8600
iOS

Our Officejet Pro 8600 is connected to our network via ethernet cable and has a static IP address.  We have accessed it using a total of four iPads, using the built-in AirPrint service, without incident for a few years.  Unfortunately, all of a sudden, we no longer can access the printer using AirPrint on either current iPad.  AirPrint no longer discovers the Officejet, even though it still sees a Brother printer that is connected to the same switch and that also has a static IP address.  We are not sure exactly when this started, but it may have been after the latest iOS update last week.

As an alternative, we installed HP Smart.  That app also failed to discover the printer automatically, but I was able to get the app to recognize the printer by entering the IP address.  We  now have "Print with HP Smart" options on our "share" list. That's the good news.  The bad news is that we can't print web pages like we used to.   We either get a site map or "unsupported" error messages when we try.

As a result, we have to print almost everything to the Brother printer.  As it is a laser, it produces inferior output from graphics-intensive sources.  

The printer is pingable from the iPads, shows up on my network map, says it's online at the static IP address when I review its status using software or the control panel, and is the default printer on a PC that is connected by ethernet to the router into which the printers' unmanaged switch is connected.  It thus seems to be doing what it is supposed to be doing.

I have cold booted the modem, the router, the printer and the iPads many times each.  There have been no changes to the router settings or firmware updates to the router.  The results do not change: we no longer can print to the Officejet using AirPrint and can't use HP Smart to print web pages.

Anyone else having similar changes of behavior with iOS devices and Officejet printers?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@MikeRubin

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer and it cannot be accessed via Airprint from your iPads. You have been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills and valuable patience. Kudos to you for that. You have done a remarkable job in troubleshooting this issue. Not to worry, I'll be glad to assist you with this case.

During my research, I came across the following information.

NOTE: As per this HP document: https://hp.care/2xy7i68, your printer and the Apple iOS device must be on the same local network or your printer must support Wi-Fi Direct or HP wireless direct.

However, you may attempt the following steps:

When you try to select a printer, a No AirPrint Printers Found message displays. To resolve the issue, restart the printer and Apple iOS device, and then make sure they are connected to the same network.

NOTE: If your printer is connected to a computer with a USB cable, you must use Wi-Fi Direct/HP wireless direct (if available) as an alternative.

Step 1: Move the router closer to the printer

Make sure other household items do not interfere with the wireless signal, and then move the router closer to the printer.

Step 1: Restart all devices, and make sure they are on the same network

Restart the router and printer, verify wireless connectivity and status on a Network Configuration page, and then turn on the Apple device to check wireless settings.

1. Turn off the router, and then turn it on.

Contact the router manufacturer for instructions on how to turn off the router.

NOTE: Do not reset the router.

2. Turn off the printer, and then turn it on.

3. Turn off the Apple device.

NOTE: Do not turn on the Apple iOS device yet.

Step 2: Update the printer firmware. Go to Updating Firmware on the Printer to download and install the latest printer firmware

Try to print. If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Step 4: Make sure AirPrint is enabled

Open the Embedded Web Server (EWS), and then make sure AirPrint is enabled.

1. Print a Network Configuration page to obtain the printer IP address needed to view the EWS webpage.

For instructions on printing a Network Configuration page, go to HP Customer Support. Type your printer model, and then search for the document to "print a configuration page."

2. Find the printer IP address on the Network Configuration page.

Figure : Example of a printer IP address

Example of a printer IP address.
  3. On your computer, open an Internet browser.

4. Type the printer IP address in the browser address bar, and then press Enter.

NOTE: Make sure to type the IP address into the Internet browser's address box. If typed into a toolbar search box or search engine, the EWS does not open.

5. If a website security certificate displays in the Internet browser, click Continue.

The EWS information page for the printer opens.

6. Click the Settings tab.

7. Click Security, and then click Administrator Settings.

8. Under Network Settings, select AirPrint, if it is not already selected, and then click Apply.

Figure : Selecting AirPrint

9. Restart the printer.

Step 3: Make sure the router can forward Bonjour packets

Not all wireless routers support Bonjour or all of Bonjour's features. Since Bonjour is the default method for discovering printers on a network, you must first make sure your wireless router supports Bonjour, and then turn the Apple device off and on.

Check the specifications or support documentation for your router or contact the router manufacturer to make sure your router supports Bonjour. It must also support forwarding Bonjour packets.

• If your router supports Bonjour, skip to the next step.

• If your router does not support Bonjour, use a router that supports Bonjour or add the printer to your printer list using the IP tab and the printer IP address.

Step 4: Try to print from another device or computer

Try to print from another networked device to the HP printer. Examples of networked devices include your computer and another Apple device.

Step 5: Reset the HP printer

Reset the printer, and then try to print again.

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

5. Wait at least 60 seconds.

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

9. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Hope this information helps. Feel free to let me know how it goes. 

Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you for your assistance.

I believe I have solved the problem.  First, I unplugged the surge protector into which I plug the printer from powerline ethernet pass through to which it was connected and connected the surge protector to another outlet.  Then I replaced the ethernet cable between the switch to which the printer is connected and my router.  I finally swapped the ethernet cables for a couple of devices (my NAS and a microcell) between the router and the switch.  After all that, the printer showed up on the iPads as AirPrint devices.  I have no idea why any of this happened, but can speculate that the powerline adaptor cause electrical interference or that I had a bad cable between switch and router. 

HP Recommended

@MikeRubin

It looks like you were interacting with @MKazi, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Barachiel & I'm at your service.

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad you found the solution for this concern.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And select Accepted as solution to help others find the same solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.