Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello, @WhiskersMcGee

Thanks for reaching out!

The printer is capable of scanning 2-sided from the PC but not using the HP Smart app. Use the ADF to scan 2-sided. Also, you need to install the full feature printer software to perform 2-sided scanning. Install it here: http://hp.care/2nBqx6H 

Hope that helps!

Thank you 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Just adding my name to the group of people who would like the see duplex scanning in the app. I loved the AiO app because I didn't have to download and install anything on the 5 computers that access the printer. It definitely seems like we took a step backward here.

HP Recommended

I'm adding my name as well.  i have an HP Officejet Pro 8600 and just upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7.  Everything went fine except with HP.  What a nightmare getting this printer and scanner to work.  The old printer/scanner interface for win 7 was fine but this new interface is as baaaad as it gets.  The basic printer interface stinks and I just downloaded the HP 'Smart App' interface and it's as dumb as they come.  NO DUPLEX SCANNING?????  Seriously?  HP is the only company whose products provide less functionality as time goes on.  So after a couple of days of trying to figure this out I've re-installed the printer on my old PC so i can scan duplex using the highly functional old interface.  Fortunately it's on a network so I can save to my new PC but really this is it for me and HP. 

HP Recommended

Using which app on the PC? The HP Smart application on Win 10 also doesn't have the 2-sided switch? Which application am I supposed to be using to scan now? Again, this is a step backward and I have to say having moved to a new HP printer two months ago, this software is a real step down from the Canon software I'd been running the last 6 years.

HP Recommended

Adding my name to this thread as I too just realized I can't duplex scan using HP Smart app. I guess it isn't so smart :HalfEyes:

HP Recommended

Adding my name to this as well. We have an HP Officejet Prox X476dw which supports duplex scanning. I can use the scan software that comes witht he printer to duplex scan but that software is unreliable and often says it can't communicate with the machine. I have therefore added the HP Smart app but as other have said, this won't duplex scan. Why have we gone backwards?

HP Recommended

Would also really like this feature in the mobile app. Have got it working with scan to computer on my Officejet Pro 6970 but having duplex scanning in the app would be very convenient when not at the PC.  The app is really very very good and this feature would put a cherry on top

HP Recommended

Using HP Smart, duplex scanning is not possible.  Why? Because HPE doesn't care.  Duplex scan is supported from the 8710 printer assistant application, which is part of the full software installation.   Dont get too excited though.   You will have to power cycle your printer every time you want to use the scan function because as soon as the printer enters sleep mode, the scan  software will no longer be able to connect to the printer.  Why?  HPE doesnt care.   This is a very common problem - .   The biggest problem is that by the time you discover that most of the printer functions dont actually work it is too late to return the product to a retailer.

HP Recommended

The original print & scan software cannot connect to my HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 anymore. When I contacted HP Support, the person at HP accessed my computer, changed some settings and reinstalled the software many times over a few days but could not solve the problem. He finally gave up and asked me to contact Microsoft to solve the problem instead. Now I am using HP Smart but cannot do duplex scan. Please let me know when you have the solution.

HP Recommended

This is ridiculous.  You have downgraded my printer which was specifically advertised as providing duplex scanning and did so until recently.  Why the hell would any of us ever buy another HP product if you think that this is a reasonable way to behave.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.