Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 5030
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

5030 prints sometimes, but then not the next day.  5030 correctly connected to network.  I have tried both Microsoft print and HP Envy diagnostics - both seem to detect printer some of the time, but not others.  I have downloaded and installed Envy Full Webpack and re-installed a number of times.  Sometimes works for a while, then 'printer offline' status appears.  Perhaps related to Spooler as printer makes noises when job is sent, but then stops and does not print.

I have tried all the suggestions concerning Windows 10 updates, but no joy.  Tried HP Print Doctor with same results.

Printer works fine from Android devices.

Is there a magic cure, or do we just have to wait for HP to update drivers to match updated W10?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@rattlingroger Welcome to HP Forums!

I have a few steps to help you out:

I suggest a clean installation of the printer drivers to fix the issue, followed by assigning a manual IP if the wifi keeps disconnecting or has connection issues:

Press "Windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window.

Type "services.msc" to get Services - Go to "Print spooler" - Right-click and "Stop" the service.

Now again open "Run" - Type "spool" and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.

Go to services again - Start the print spooler.

Now check for issue resolution.

• If the issue persists, unplug the USB cable from the printer (if present). 

Go to Control panel - Programs and feature - Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel - Devices and printer - Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

Again, go to the Run window, type - "c:/programdata" - Go to the Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Restart your computer.

Then, use this link to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: Click here

Once done follow the steps below to assign a static/manual IP to resolve connection issues:

-Verify in the printer that 'Auto Off/Sleep' is disabled. Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) by going to the printers IP address in your browsers address bar, click Settings Tab/Auto-Off. --Or use the Printer Assistant, Printer Home Page (EWS). Also, check your Printers Properties.

-If the printer supports and has IPv6 enabled, turn off IPv6 in the printer.

-If needed and you assigned a static IP address, try using 8.8.8.8 for the Preferred DNS server and 8.8.4.4 at the Alternate DNS server. 

-Verify the printer is on the latest firmware by checking with the HP Support site.

In the router: (Refer to your router manual for information) 

Use a fixed wireless channel like 1, 6 or 11, never 'auto', try channel 1 first then the rest. 

Set router to 20Mhz only, or 145Mbps depending on the router. 

Always use WPA2-AES (Personal) encryption, but you can try `mixed' mode. 

Disable WPS and never use it and disable UPnP for the routers security. Nobody can hack your system now and helps with wireless connectivity (if you want to know why search the web).

If you have a dual-band router (2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz bands), make sure the SSID's are NOT the same, they must be different for all bands, even for any Guest networks.

SSID broadcast must be enabled.

Save all settings. Power off both, wait 2 mins. Power on the router and wait 2 mins. 

Power on the printer and verify it reconnects to the router

You can also refer to the below video for the same. 

Note that, in the video, the interface shown is the Windows interface, but the steps are the same as it done using a web browser. 

And the article may have the title of another printer, but the steps are bound to help resolve your concern as well.

CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE VIDEO

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on the post you feel, helped you the most, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed the steps one by one as far as going to the EWS, but then the Settings Tab led to an apparently unsafe site without the option to ignore.

If anything, the situation is now worse!  The 5030 does not appear in the Control Panel at all, nor can Windows find it for Add Printer (only the DIRECT version).

I have not tried the list of actions for the router.  I can print to the 5030 from Android devices and the 5030 will print anything I send the printer via email: clearly the router/network is fine, it is the HP software which is dubious.

HP Recommended

@rattlingroger If the printer works fine from other devices and yet doesn't work with the Windows 10 device, I suggest you uninstall the software and install the Windows built-in drivers: Click here for steps,

Let me know how that pans out and good luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your efforts, but I am afraid Windows Add Device could not find an HP driver for 5030 or 5000 series, so W10 unable to install drivers.

HP Recommended

@rattlingroger That looks like an issue with the Windows OS, please create a new administrator account and check if that works fine, when used to install the windows built-in drivers, please ensure you create a backup of all personal data before creating a new user profile.

If the issue persists, on the new user account as well, you may want to reset the windows: Click here for instructions.

Keep us posted. Although, I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@rattlingrogerThat looks like an issue with the Windows OS, please create a new administrator account and check if that works fine, when used to install the windows built-in drivers, please ensure you create a backup of all personal data before creating a new user profile.

Thank you so much for your efforts, but I think I will leave things just as they are until Windows or HP issue updates!  I have a legacy desktop and a laptop which run W10 Home and a MS Surface Go which is running W10 Pro - I do not have the time or inclination to make changes to all of them in the hope of resolving the issue in the short term.

As I said at the outset the fault is apparently random: this morning, for example, both the laptop and the Surface are working with the printer over the network, whereas they would not do so yesterday.  The only difference has been that I sent a job to the printer by email that printed correctly, as always.  Tomorrow is another day: one or all systems may then again refuse to work!!

HP Recommended

@rattlingroger I understand precisely where you come from and can relate to you very well.

Take your time and when you think it is necessary to perform these steps you could give it a shot or make an attempt to do it.

Meanwhile, I also recommend you try adding the printer over the TCP/IP connection using the below steps:

1. Search Windows for devices, and then click Devices and Printers in the results.

2. Click Add a printer.

3. Select Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer.

Select a printer windows displays.

• If your printer is in the list, select it, click Next, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.

• If your printer is not in the list, click the back arrow in the upper left corner of the window to return to What type of printer do you want to install?. Continue to the next step.

4. Click Add a local printer.

5. Select Use an existing port (LPT1: Printer Port), and then click Next.

6. Click Windows Update, and then wait for the print drivers to update.

7. Click HP, Hewlett-Packard, or Hewlett Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers page.

• If your printer is in the list, select it, click Next, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.

• If your printer is not in the list, click the back arrow in the upper left corner of the window two times to return to What type of printer do you want to install?. Continue to the next step.

8. Click Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer window, and then click The printer that I want isn't listed.

9. Select Add a printer using TCP/IP address or hostname, and then click Next.

10. Select Autodetect from the Device type drop-down list.

11. Type your printer IP address into the text box, and then click Next.

To find the printer IP address, print a Wireless Network Test report or a Network Configuration pages.

12. Wait for the computer to connect to the printer, and then click Next to install the print driver.

Keep us posted. Although, I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.