Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8740
Other

We need to print directly from within a web-page in a browser, or from the web-server, which is nowhere near the printer.

Currently we use Google Cloud Print from the server, but only because it has not been possible to find a method of printing directly from the web browser to the printer (on the same local network) with AJAX requests or similar. For example IPP is supported by the printer, but not possible to use from a browser?

The printed resource is a PDF file.

Since it seems Google Cloud Print will be discountinued with the end of year 2020, we will need to find an alternative:

1) Preferrably printing directly to printer on local network, from web app in browser. With AJAX or similar. Essentially sending a PDF or link to a PDF directly to the printer.

2) If this is not possible, some kind of Google Cloud Print alternative, where a PDF, or link to PDF can be sent to a server, which then sends it to the printer.

Any suggestions on how to do this would be very welcome! 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@qabi, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Which Operating system are you using?

Is the printer and the PC on the same wireless network?

If you are away from the printer, you may use HP ePrint.

HP ePrint is a secure cloud-based service that lets you print from anywhere with an active Internet connection. Email the document or photo you want to print directly to the printer.

Refer to this document for more info.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

The operating system should not really be important, since we need to print directly from a web app in a browser. This browser could be on any operating system. But in our case most often Android, though.

The printer and the device with the web-browser is on the same local network, yes. 

Emailing the document is not a very attractive option, since print delay will typically be even longer than for Google Cloud Print. For this reason we prefer an interface on the printer, which can be invoked directly from the browser (web app). Preferrably with so-called AJAX requests.

I hope this question makes sense. If not, just let me know, and I will try to describe the requirements and circumstances in more detail.

HP Recommended

@qabi

You may use either of these applications:

Use HP Smart app to print

Click here to download and know more about the app.

Use HP Print Service Plugin

Refer to this document for more info.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.