10 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

HO OfficeJet Pro 8710 does not print.

HP Recommended
iMac
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I updated to a new WiFi modem and now my printer does not work.  When I hope preferences, the printer is in Fax mode and I am unable to change that to copying or printing.  The printer icon has a large question mark (?) on top and therefore does not work.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,982 12,959 1,017 983
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ LeMeHo, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I see that you have issues with printer printing wireless from your computer, let us try to isolate and resolve the issue. Follow the steps below-

Reset the printer-

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
  2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  5. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  9. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Reconfigure the printer on the network-

1. From the home screen of your printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon .

2. Touch the Setup icon 

3. Touch Restore Network Defaults or Restore Network Settings, and then touch Yes to confirm your selection.

4. After the default network settings are restored, touch the back arrow, touch Wireless Settings, and then touch Wireless Setup Wizard.

The printer searches for available networks.

5. Touch the name of your wireless network.

6. If your wireless network does not display in the list of wireless networks, touch Enter New Network Name, and then type the name of your wireless network.

NOTE: 

Type the exact network name, including any uppercase and lowercase letters.

7. Type the WEP or WPA key (network password), and then touch Done.

If you do not know your network password, go to Find Your Wireless WEP, WPA, WPA2 Password.

Once the printer connects to the wireless network, the blue Wireless light on the control panel turns on solid.

ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with its software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

Remove and add the printer

Click the Apple menu, and then select System Preferences.

Depending on your operating system version, click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.

Click the name of your printer, click the Minus sign, and then delete the printer.

Select printer and click the minus sign

Click the Plus sign, and then click Add Printer or Scanner.

Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select AirPrint

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

Click Add to add the printer to the list.

Try to print.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

Highlighted
Author
Level 1
10 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I communicated with you a few weeks ago and  thought we had solved the problem.  Today I tried to print and I got the same results.  I have waited 17 minutes and it still is looking for the printer.  Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,982 12,959 1,017 983
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@LeMeHo

To be able to assist you better, I would like to know the following:

• Are the printer and PC connected to the same network?
  • Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz?
  • What is the distance between the router and the printer?
  • Is there any antivirus software installed on your computer?
  • Could you perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results?

Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by selecting the wireless icon on the printer display.

The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold option-click the WiFi icon and then use shift-command-5 to take the screenshot. Press the space bar when the icon turns into a camera. Share the ping test results and the screenshot with us.

Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'. 

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation