Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
iPad (2018)
IOS 9 - 9.3.5

I have an HP2600 wireless inkjet printer and a brand new iPad (2018).

The printer is unable to locate the wifi signal so that iPad can discover it and print. The printer wifi search is flashing as it searches for the signal but never finds it.

The router and wifi work because my cellphone and the new iPad are connected to the web. My old, obsolete iPad 1, connects to the web AND the printer wifi without a problem.

I moved the printer and the new iPad to another location which has a different router and a Windows 10 desktop. First, connected the printer to the desktop USB, and it was instantly recognized. Then, disconnected the printer from the desktop USB, and restarted it. The new iPad immediately discovered the printer in wifi mode.

The, returned the printer and the new iPad to its original location and the printer still cannot to find the signal. The router is a D-Link DIR 615 Wireless N Router.

I believe that if I could connect the printer by cable to the iPad, it may reinitialize the printer WiFi, but such cable, if exists, it must be very expensive. Are there any suggestions how I can reinitialize the printer wifi?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@ineuw

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

• Make sure the printer and the iPad are connected to the same wireless network.
  • This printer supports only 2.4GHz network.

Step 1: Restore default wireless settings on the printer

1. Turn on the printer and make sure ink cartridges are installed and paper is loaded in the tray.
  2. Press and hold the Wireless and Cancel buttons at the same time until the Power light flashes, and then wait for the Wireless light to flash.
  3. On the Apple device, open Settings, tap Wi-Fi, and then tap the printer with DIRECT in the name (Example: DIRECT-72-HP Deskjet 2600) from the list of available networks.
  4. If prompted for a password, type 12345678. This is the default password to log in.
  5. If you created a custom password and do not remember it, go to your printer to get the password.
  6. Press the Wireless and Information buttons at the same time. Find the Wi-Fi Direct password in the Wi-Fi Direct section of the printed page.
  7. Open the item you want to print, and then tap Print from the app or action menu.

8. Select your printer from the list of available printers, and then tap Print.

9. Note: When the printer and the iPad are connected via Wi-Fi Direct, you will not be able to access the Internet on your iPad, Hence we will have to convert the connection to wireless now.

Step 2: Convert the connection to Wireless

1. Open safari and at the top address bar, type in 192.168.223.1 and click on go.
  2. The printer's Home page would open.
  3. Go to Network > Wireless setup wizard and follow the On-screen instructions.
  4. Once the connection is successful, connect your iPad back to your wireless network. (router)
  5. Try to print.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, it didn't work, even though the instructions are 100%. Got the WiFi connection working on the printer, and selected the DIRECT printer it connected instantly with  IP 192.168.223.1. 

The wireless wizard listed the SSID , but the selection did not stick, as if it was "read only". When I clicked on "next", a message appeared that I must select an SSID before continuing, and returned me to the SSID selection display.

Then, I tried the manual registration of the SSID. I created the same SSID as in the list. In the next window the password was accepted. But then, the connection information displayed the SSID, and that it was not connected.

HP Recommended

@ineuw

We could try to Reset the Printer's Network Settings back to Factory Defaults

To assist you better I would need the complete Printer Model or the Product Number

You can refer to this Link: hp.care/2bygf7l for help in locating the Product Number

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi. Sorry about the late reply, with this being a friend's printer and we had a long weekend. Here are the numbers requested

Serial No : [edited]

FPU number : V1N01-64003

HP Recommended

@ineuw

Thank you for the response. 

Is your router able to forward Bonjour packets? This can be verified with your Internet Service provider.

Also, check if MAC filtering is enabled on the router.

This printer can connect only to a 2.4GHz network. If your router is dual-band, check the same.

Check for any software updates on your iPad

Click here to know how.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Once done, try connecting the printer again to the wireless network as mentioned in my previous post.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I really appreciate your help and please forgive me for asking some additional questions.

Would the Windows firmware affect the printer's ability to connect wirelessly to the iPad with iOS 11, operating system.?

I have a dual boot desktop with Windows 10 and Linux Mint 19.1.

Is it possible to update the printer firmware through my desktop, with either Linux or Windows so that the new iPad can connect to the printer through wi-fi?

HP Recommended

@ineuw

Yes, you can update the printer firmware through Windows OS.

Once the firmware is updated, try connecting to the iPad and print.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.