Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Custom Made
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Win 10 just did a trouble-free automatic upgrade to Ver. 1903.  After the upgrade my USB connected, home for personal use, HP 3630 Desk Jet could not be found when I tried to print anything from any program.  I ran the latest version of HP Print and Scan Doctor, which could not find the problem, but ran an internal diagnostic of the 3630 which printed out a perfect page.  So the printer is working and Print and Scan Doctor was able to communicate with it from Win 10.

Reading other posts, I first went to the HP support site and downloaded the latest driver/software pack for the 3630.  It uninstalled all my old software and I disconnected the USB cable, as instructed.  It than tried to install the new software, but when it told me to reinstall the USB cable, it could not recognise that the cable had been reinstalled so the install could not continue.  

In Settings/Printers I tried to use the Install Driver function, but it showed that the Drivers were not Available.  So I downloaded the separate 3630 driver package and did a what was shown to be "successful" install.  I then tried to reinstall the Software package, but it again did not recognise when I reconnected the USB cable so could not continue the installation. 

The 3630 is shown in Settings/Printers and if I turn it off it shows it is not connected and when I turn it on it changes to show it is connected and the "Default" printer, so I know that Win 10 can communicate with the 3630 on this level.  It is also listed in Device Manager along with Spooling.

When I go to print anything, using File/Print, the print screen that appears shows the HP 3630 but asks me to Locate the Printer, but when the window opens to do this it only shows  Network 1 and when I click on it, it shows no printer.  It appears that Windows 10 thinks that the printer is on a network and cannot find it there.  In all settings for 3630 it shows it on the USB001 port for the virtual network.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get my printer back?  Thanks for your help.  Dennis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@d-s-n

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Have you tried using the HP Smart App: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04675142

If this doesn't work, let's try this:

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@d-s-n

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Have you tried using the HP Smart App: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04675142

If this doesn't work, let's try this:

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Betty0610 - The HP Smart App. says it is for, among other things, setting up a printer on a network.  My computer is a home computer and strictly for home use, I have never had it on a network or used it on a network.  However, after the 1903 upgrade it looks like Win 10 considers itself to be on a network.  For example, both Device Mgr. and Settings/Printers list the printer and communicate with it as its status changes if I turn it on and off.  They also list it as working properly.  At the same time, all Property/Port settings show it on "USB001 Virtual Printer Port for  HP 3630".  Even when I moved the USB connection from a desktop hub directly to the computer, it still shows it at the same Virtual Printer Port.  Also, when I try to print a document and the Print Page Opens, it lists the printer as the default printer, but when you open the "Find Printer" window it is searching in "Network" and shows a "Computer (1)" named "Dennis" in the large window.  If I double click "Dennis" there is no computer shown there.

Should I use the HP Smart App to try to put my printer on this supposed "Computer (1) "Dennis" network though I never established it or even knew about it until now and if I go to Settings/Networks/Status it doesn't show this network.  All it shows is the ethernet for my internet connection.  At the same time, If I open "File Explorer" the last item in the column, is "Network" / "Dennis" which contains a sub-folder "Users" which contains Default Migrated, Dennis Neff, and Public, folders all with numerous files. 

Thanks so much for your time on this.  I even went out today and bought another HP printer to make absolutely sure that it was supported by Win 10 Ver. 1903.  When I installed the new HP 2633 it acts just like the old 3630 and has exactly the same problem.  I had done the root uninstall of drivers and programs as listed on the HP support site at least three times trying to fix this problem already.  Please give me your thought on trying to make the HP 2633 a "Dennis" network printer.

HP Recommended

It was the HP Smart App that finally did it -- was able to get my HP 2633 recognised.  I tried to use HP Smart at least twice before and already had it on my computer, but each time it couldn't connect to internet because I was using a USB cable, then it wouldn't print out a welcome page, then it had a mandatory need for a zip code when I live in Denmark, but this time I just kept ploughing along and each time I hit cancel installation, but it continued to something else it couldn't do.  It was comical, but in the end it printed out the beautiful Welcome sheet and said I was ready to go.  Not believing for a second that anything had actually changed, I tried to print out an email and almost had a heart attack when it printed perfectly.  

The printer then automatically printed a test page and a Printer Alignment Page, which I scanned as instructed.  I then went to LibreOffice and print out a document from there, so everything is working.  How, I don't have the slightest idea, but who cares at this point.  Thanks sooo much Betty0610 for encouraging me to to use HP Smart for that third and lucky time. 

The lesson here is not to give up when using HP Smart when you hit a dead end.  Go ahead and hit cancel installation as the installation actually continues.  At one point it went back to the opening page and I just restarted the installation by opening the computer symbol in the left hand column.  If it asks for a zip code, and you don't live in the U.S., just use any one you know.  In the end it will get the job done.

Dennis

HP Recommended

I'm glad to hear that. Do get back to us in the future for further assistance.

Have a nice day!:)

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.