Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4528 All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently I bought a brand new HP Envy 4528 All-in-One printer and scanner. Installation worked perfectly fine, and the HP Envy 4528 connected to my home WPA2-PSK protected WLAN via a Wi-Fi connection without any problems at all.

Normally, you would have to type in the Pre-shared Key, the PSK, for your local WLAN, into the printer, in order to make it able to connect to the network. This was, however, completely unnecessary in my case. 

My question is, how can a network device, such as the HP Envy 4528, or other devices, connect to a WPA2-PSK protected network, without the key being typed in ?

Does it obtain the PSK key from the computers WiFi connection, or is there another explanation ?

Thank you in advance.

(I speak, read and understand both Danish and English. )

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The printer installation offer an HP Auto Wireless Connect technology, a wireless installation method to connect your printer during the software installation on your computer.

The printer as any other network device cannot know the password for your network.

During the printer software installation you confirmed configuring the printer with the same wireless details set on your computer, accordingly the installation set the same connection settings for your printer.

You may find about the feature below:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/wireless-printing-center/printer-setup-help.html

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

The printer installation offer an HP Auto Wireless Connect technology, a wireless installation method to connect your printer during the software installation on your computer.

The printer as any other network device cannot know the password for your network.

During the printer software installation you confirmed configuring the printer with the same wireless details set on your computer, accordingly the installation set the same connection settings for your printer.

You may find about the feature below:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/wireless-printing-center/printer-setup-help.html

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.