Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have lost a working day over the last week trying to fix issues with my HP Envy 5640 (I am using a new HP Spectre).  I am only able to print via USB despite it being set up correctly for wireless and used to work fine in the past.

I ahve used the HP Scan and Print Dr on several occaisions, redownloaded drivers and firmware - and still nothing.

Would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

fHi @BerryLovely

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the printer is unable to print wirelessly.

I’d love to help!

Follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Restart the computer, printer, and router to resolve any connectivity error states.

NOTE: The following steps temporarily disconnect network and Internet connections, and require restarting your computer. Complete any tasks or downloads in progress before continuing.

1. Turn off the router by pressing the power button or disconnecting the power cord.

2. Turn off the printer, and then unplug any USB or Ethernet cables.

NOTE:  When a USB or Ethernet cable is connected to the printer, the printer cannot connect wirelessly.

3. Close all running programs on your computer, and then shut down the computer.

4. Reconnect the power cord to the router, and then wait for the Internet activity light to display a normal connected status.

5. Turn on the printer.

6. Turn on the computer.

If the issue persists, follow the steps in the below article.

NOTE: Start from step 3

http://hp.care/2iqLuUg

Let me know how it works and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

fHi @BerryLovely

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the printer is unable to print wirelessly.

I’d love to help!

Follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Restart the computer, printer, and router to resolve any connectivity error states.

NOTE: The following steps temporarily disconnect network and Internet connections, and require restarting your computer. Complete any tasks or downloads in progress before continuing.

1. Turn off the router by pressing the power button or disconnecting the power cord.

2. Turn off the printer, and then unplug any USB or Ethernet cables.

NOTE:  When a USB or Ethernet cable is connected to the printer, the printer cannot connect wirelessly.

3. Close all running programs on your computer, and then shut down the computer.

4. Reconnect the power cord to the router, and then wait for the Internet activity light to display a normal connected status.

5. Turn on the printer.

6. Turn on the computer.

If the issue persists, follow the steps in the below article.

NOTE: Start from step 3

http://hp.care/2iqLuUg

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Many thanks!  Although the instructions didn't quite match my printer options, I got there in the end - it seemed to be a DNS issue.

Really appreciate your help :OpenSmile:

HP Recommended

Hi @BerryLovely

Thank you for posting back.

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that! 

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately the issue has occured again.  Please advise (at this rate its not worth me continuing with this printer and the ebilling/ink service...)

HP Recommended

Hi @BerryLovely

Thank you for posting back.

I recommend you to try using the below DNS IP address and check if it helps.

Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.