Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7640
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Brand new Envy 7640.  Connected it to PC (hardwired with Optical to USB port on tower) connected to network for wireless printing.  The PC is defaulting to grayscale and I cannot find a setting to change it but it will print in color from IPAD, Iphones etc.  Makes me think the printer is not the issue, but the PC or software on PC.

I cannot find a setting on the HP PC to change to color.  Most of the posts talk about finding it in paper size, ect but those setting choices do not exist.

Please advise, thanks

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Jlcropes12

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, Thank you for posting your query.

I see that you need assistance on print settings on your HP Envy 7640 printer.

I'll be more than glad to help you out!!

Le's try these simple steps:

1> Search Windows for Devices and Printers.

2>Right-click your printer and then select Printing Preferences.

3>Select your printer again and then click the Paper/Quality or Features tab.

4>Click Advanced, click Print in Grayscale and then select color.

5>Click OK to complete the change.

Please complete the steps and let me know the outcome.

I'll be eagerly waiting to assist you with same,

Have a nice day.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My new HP envy 7640 will not print in color from my PC. I tried the steps listed here and I do not have the option to change the color setting. The only options I have in the advance print settings are layout, Max DPI, Booklet, Pages to Print and Bordless Printing. Where is the setting to print in color or black and white?! If I print an email from my phone it will print in color, it is just when I am printing from my computer!

HP Recommended

I did the same thing that you did. Hard wired it and wired it with ethernet, got the same results that you did. It will only work with one connected , not both. You can either hardwire it ., go ethernet or wireless. It will then work and all of the settings will show up. I too thought something was wrong. You can only have one connection. You can always change connections but have to set it back up again. Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Will only work with one connection. Not 2 or more. Either connect usb, ethernet or wireless. Once you do and set it up, all settings will show up and it will print in color.

HP Recommended

I have set it up as a USB connection.  How do I remove the wireless connection.  This shouldn't be this hard.  It will print in color except in the Microsoft Office Print Manager.  Everything has locks on it, including in the HP Printer Assistant where it says "Customise Your Printer".   Thank for any help ! 

HP Recommended

Don't know if this will help or nor but this is what I found. I have the drivers installed for wireless, ethernet and usb. When I go to print, it shows me 3 different printers to choose from. I just have to know which one to choose depending on how i'm connected. The easiest thing for you to do is to uninstall the printer and drivers for both USB and wireless.. Then reinstall it with only the USB connection. That should solve your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you Wally.  I'll give it a try.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I've been spending way too much time on this already so I might just have to take a break 🙂

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue but I do not have an option to print in grayscale.

HP Recommended

Greetings @Crystal86,

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are unable to print in color, is that right?

Kudos to you for checking the printer preferences. 

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

May I know the operating system installed on your computer?

Are you able to make a copy in color on the printer?

How is the printer connected to your computer? USB or wireless. 

If you are using a Windows computer, request you follow the procedure mentioned below to uninstall the printer software and settings completely and install it back. 

• Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)
  • Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right click on the Windows button to access device manager)
  • Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top. 
  • Click on print server properties. 
  • You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there, if any.
  • Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.
  • Restart the PC.
  • Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box, 
  • Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.
  • It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files, ignore them).
  • If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.
  • Restart the PC again. 
  • Download the latest full feature driver from www.hp.com/drivers and install it on the computer.
  • Power On/Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer. 

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.