Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 serching for internet access when hard wired

HP OfficeJet Pro 7740
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I have a HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 I have it hard wired it to my mac, because the internet router is too far from my computer. Even though the computer is hard wired to the computer and the computer is hard wired to my router the printer keeps looking for the internet. How do I make the printer realize it IS connected to my Mac?

Thanks for any help.

PS Every once in a while it will print. Either it realizes it is wired, or the internet signal is strong enough to reach my computer. I am out in the hinterlands so strong internet is a dream.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
5,478 4,662 304 287
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@I-wa

Welcome to HP Forums. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I understand you need support and I'll be glad to help you out. However, for an accurate solution, I would need more details:

How is the printer connected to your Mac PC, USB cable or Ethernet cable?

Do you get any notification on the printer display to connect the printer to the internet? If so, what is the exact notification message?

Let me know!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
I-wa Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I use a usb to hook my printer to my mac. I don't get any message it just won't print. But since I posted my problem it has printed once. But I don't know why.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
5,478 4,662 304 287
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@I-wa

Thanks! It could be an issue with the print driver installed on your PC, removing existing print driver and installing compatible driver may resolve the issue. Let's try these steps:

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

2.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list. If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

3.) Click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

4.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu, then click Add.

5.) Try to print.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
I-wa Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I deleted the drivers and loaded a new one. problem seems to be the same. It says I have a poor wireless nestwork. it says it can't find the printer. then poof, it prints. Sometimes. Also I can't turn the printer off sing the button on the front.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,795 12,338 1,164 2,378
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@I-wa,

I read your quick response. The power button not working on the printer suggests that the issue is hardware related. It is great to have you back and your efforts and commitment to try and resolve the issue are greatly appreciated. As @senan6806 is out for the day, I am responding on his behalf.

For the other issue try updating the printer's firmware.

Now check if the issue gets resolved. 

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Thank you and have a great week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation