Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6600
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I recently changed my wifi router from Netgear to the Google mesh with 3 points. After that I was able update the printer's network settings and was able to successfully connect to the Google mesh wifi. However if I try to print to the printer wirelessly from my Mac (or iPhone, iPad or Win10 laptop) it does not print. The Google mesh wifi has just 1 network and it automatically connects devices to the appropriate band (2.4g or 5g) based on what the device can support and what is best, i.e., I can not choose that for a device. I'd read online that the printer has a problem with Google mesh wifi since the same network SSID is sent out by the different wifi points and so the printer and client (Mac, Win, iPad or iPhone) may be connected to different wifi points. But ideally it should not be a problem since it's still the same network. No? Can someone please suggest a fix that I can do on the HP printer to address this?

In my Google mesh, the DHCP range is 192.168.86.20-250 (I think that the Google router's IP is 192.168.86.1). 

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

By the way, using the Mac Printer & Scanner settings (and the equivalent Win10 menu) I am able to see the printer's ink levels and also run the scanner. It's just that I'm not able to print to the printer.

HP Recommended

I saw an update in another thread that setting a static IP address for the printer would resolve the issue. So per the process outlined in that thread I set the printer IP to DHCP, and then via the Google Wifi app I marked the printer device with a specific IP address, and then rebooted the wifi network, the printer and then reconnected the printer to the wifi network. After this I confirmed that the IP address shown on the printer and on the Google Wifi app was the one that I'd set. However it still did not resolve the issue 😞

HP Recommended

The printer could have a problem if the 2.4g and 5g SSID are the same.

All your google nodes can have the same name for the 5g.

All your google nodes can have the same name for the 2.4g, just not the 5g name.

HP Recommended

With the Google mesh wifi there is just 1 network. When devices connect to the network the mesh wifi automatically connects it to the 2.4g or 5g depending on what the device can support. For instance if the device can support 2.4g & 5g then the wifi may connect it with the 5g network (or 2.4g network). If the device can support only 2.4g (like my HP printer) then the wifi will connect it with 2.4g. So in a nutshell a user has no way to specifically connect to 2.4g or 5g.  From what I'd read it looks like the= same SSID across the different wifi points is causing the printer to think that the laptop that I'm trying to print from is on a different network even though it's on the same network.

Other folks with the same issue have got it working by setting the HP printer with a static IP address but that doesn't seem to work for me! 

HP Recommended

If the printer supports Direct WiFi , see if all(Printing & Scanning) works.

If it does then google may have it hosed up.

HP Recommended

Yes, it’s something to do with Google mesh Wifi and the printer. 

HP Recommended

Is there a setting for fast-roaming?

If so turn it off.

HP Recommended

No setting for fast roaming 

HP Recommended

Put a call in with google, they must have a fix

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.