Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
MacBook Air
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Hi, my Macbook Air can't find my HP Tango printer although it can see it through the HP Smart app. I spent an hour or so online with HP suppoprt and we managed to get it printing using an IP address. They told me the printer was not designed to work with a Macbook Air! The IP Address method has now stopped working and the HP Smart method is not particularly convenient.

Has any one had experience of using a HP Tango with a Macbook Air?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Oswaldbathead

A warm welcome to HP Support Community!

HP Tango is compatible with mac OS X v10.14 mojave. However, we have to use HP Smart App. Re-configuring the wireless settings on HP Tango may resolve the issue. Here is how to do it:

1.) Press and hold https://support.hp.com/doc-images/162/c02131772.gif WiFi on the back of the printer for at least 3 to 5 seconds. (This step will  enable Auto Wireless connect. Immediately continue to the next step to install the software. You have approximately 120 minutes to complete the software setup using the HP auto wireless connect feature.) 

2.) On your Mac, open HP Smart, and then follow the on-screen instructions to find your printer.

3.) If necessary, click Printers, and then click Set Up a New Printer.

HP Smart searches for printers on your wireless network.

4.) Select your printer, and then click Continue.

Refer to this video for detailed instructions.

Let me know how it goes

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, HP Smart already works. But it is inconvenient for printing web pages, documents as you cannot do so directly from them, you have to open HP Smart to find the document or copy the web page into a word document save it and then use HP Smart. My IMac does not have these issues, it can print straight from documents and web pages. Why is it that the MacBook Air can see the HP Tango in the HP Smart app but cannot see it using the Apple printer set up? Is the HP Tango not compatible with a MacBook air apart from using UP Smart?

Thanks

Roger

HP Recommended

@Oswaldbathead

HP Tango is AirPrint compatible. If we can setup the printer with Apple AirPrint on your MacBook Air, then you wouldn't need to use HP Smart App to print. If the printer and MacBook Air is connected to your home WiFi, then you may use the following steps to setup the printer with Apple AirPrint:

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

2.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list.

4.) Click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint or Secure AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

6.) Try to print.

Keep me posted!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, I deleted the printer in the Apple settings. I pressed the + to add a printer but no printers are displayed. The Add page is blank. I checked again, HP Smart can see the printer. The Apple printer set up does not see the printer.

Thanks

Roger

HP Recommended

Hi, I deleted the MacBook Air from the network and then re-joined. It can now see the printer! However Airprint is not an option. It has selected Generic PCL Printer. The print queue says it is “Unable to locate the printer”

HP Recommended

Hi, I have deleted HP Smart from the MAcBook Air. It can now see the printer and automatically selects Secure AirPrint however when I click Add it says it is setting the printer up then says "An unexpected error occurred while trying to add the selected device"  "Unable to communicate with the printer at this time". The printer is ready to go and on the network as I have checked its status on my IMac.

HP Recommended

Hi, I turned the MacBook air off and on a couple of times as it was having difficulty getting the internet (the wifi was fine) and bingo! The printer set up Secure AirPrint in a matter of seconds! I'm not sure that I'm going to re-install HP Smart.

Thanks

Roger 

HP Recommended

@Oswaldbathead

If you were able to complete the AirPrint setup then I don't think you would need HP Smart App.

Are you able to print after completing the Airprint setup?

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, initially I had the MacBook Air on top of the printer and it printed fine. However, when I took it downstairs and tutned it off and on it could no longer contact the printer. After removing the MacBook Air from WiFi and network and re-installing them, it printed again.  The MacBook Air has been on all night and still prints today.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.