Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP5520

I have a laptop running windows 10 connected to a wifi printer - HP5520.  It's worked fine since purchase about 2 years ago.  Recently I noticed an app on my laptop called HP Smart - and assuming this was Microsoft's way of allowing you to print to an HP printer I used it.  Since then I have been unable to print .docs (Office 365) and when I print  excel files or emails from Outlook only the lines and images print out.  I have deleted and reinstalled the printer on my laptop - this time it has identified itself as HP8CA576 (HP5520 series).  Initially this seemed to solve the problem, but a day on the problem has recurred.

I've no idea what HP Smart is or where it's come from.  Can I get rid of it and go back to using the HP5520 driver I had before?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @Distalbans

Appreciate your efforts!

HP Smart app is an app by HP to work on Windows 10 and other mobile devices.

Try to remove the app by going to:

1. Open the Start menu.
  2. Click Settings.
  3. Click System on the Settings menu.
  4. Select Apps & features from the left pane. ...
  5. Select an app you wish to uninstall.
  6. Click the Uninstall button that appears.

If the issue persists, please try and perform a clean install as suggested below:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer, if present.
  • Go to Control Panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control Panel – Devices and Printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now, click http://hp.care/2qG1qmg to download and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
  • Restart the PC and check.

Hope that helps! Let me know!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello, @Distalbans - Greetings! 

Thanks for reaching out! I'm here to help 🙂

I see that you are facing issues while printing the Microsoft Office documents. It looks like a permission issue with the drivers. 

Can you try and open and print the file as an administrator?

You should be able to open the MS Office applications in the administrator mode. That is an option available in all the Windows OS versions.

Do not try to open a particular file, Instead, open the MS Word / MS Excel application as administrator. Right-click on the MS Word application and choose to run as administrator.

Also, let's try this which have helped few customers:

• Press the "Windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type %temp% and press ok.
  • Note what the full path is  (in my case, it was "C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\Temp")
  • Go up one level in the directory tree
  • Right-click on the temp directory (in my case, "C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local"), and select "Properties"
  • Go to the Security tab, and select "Users" from the group or user names
  • Click "Edit"
  • Select Users, then check the box by "Full Control"
  • Click "Apply"
  • You may get a whole bunch of error messages about inheritance, just hold down the Enter key until they all go away.
  • Click "Cancel" a couple of times to dismiss the properties boxes
  • Go forth and print from any application and check.

Let me know how that goes!

Cheers 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi Dvortex,

Thanks for your suggestions.  I followed your instructions but all the Users (system, my user name, administrators) were already  set to "full control" and when I clicked the "Edit" button all the Allow boxes were ticked but greyed out, so all it would have allowed me to do was "Deny" .

I still feel the HP Smart app is causing the problem - I didn't install it - it just appeared a few weeks ago after my laptop had run some updates.  However having checked the Programs list it doesn't appear there - so is it a Microsoft tool?  

Help would be appreciated!

HP Recommended

Hello, @Distalbans

Appreciate your efforts!

HP Smart app is an app by HP to work on Windows 10 and other mobile devices.

Try to remove the app by going to:

1. Open the Start menu.
  2. Click Settings.
  3. Click System on the Settings menu.
  4. Select Apps & features from the left pane. ...
  5. Select an app you wish to uninstall.
  6. Click the Uninstall button that appears.

If the issue persists, please try and perform a clean install as suggested below:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer, if present.
  • Go to Control Panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control Panel – Devices and Printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now, click http://hp.care/2qG1qmg to download and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
  • Restart the PC and check.

Hope that helps! Let me know!

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Had to uninstall all HP printer software and reinstall.  Now working perfectly!  Many thanks Dvortex!

HP Recommended

Hello, @Distalbans

Thanks for the update & Great stuff! Glad to know that you were able to fix the issue 🙂

Visit us again if you have any concerns!

Thank you again and may you have a wonderful day and even better tomorrow 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.