Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 10 (758 Views)

How to print envelopes with HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 using Chromebook via cloud print

I have an Acer Chromebook which I want to use to create envelopes with my 8620 printer with. My printer does work, I am able to construct letter size pages without any problems.

I am using Google Docs to create my envelope. I used one of the #10 envelope templates I found in the public templates.

My problem occurs when I go to print the envelope. The printing dialog in Chrome shows my envelope sized document scaled up to letter sized paper and in the options there is no place for me to tell Chrome to use an envelope.

HPPrinter.png

I believe this issue has to do with my HP 8620 printer and not Chrome because I have a Samsung ML-2510 laser printer setup with Cloud print which does include the paper size options.

MLPrinter.png

How do I print envelopes with this thing if I can't pick the paper size?

Retired
Message 2 of 10 (723 Views)

Re: How to print envelopes with HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 using Chromebook via cloud print

Hi @cyberkni,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums for help with your printing issue.

I understand that you are using an HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer with a ChromeBook and you are unable to select the #10 envelope as a paper size. I would like to help with that.

I was reviewing the two screen shots you provided. I noticed that on the first one, with the 8620 selected, two-sided was selected. the printer will only print on regular plain 8.5' x 11' paper.

If you remove the checkmark from the box will the Paper size dropdown menu become available again?

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

Top Student
Message 3 of 10 (704 Views)

Re: How to print envelopes with HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 using Chromebook via cloud print

Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately that did not solve the issue:

HPprint.png

Retired
Message 4 of 10 (688 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi @cyberkni,

I would try deleting the printer from Cloud Print and then try using the following support document to get HP Print for Chrome to see is the envelope options become available - Using HP Print for Chrome.

Please let me know how it goes.

If this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

Top Student
Message 5 of 10 (683 Views)

I've done what you suggested. I removed the Cloud Print printer from my account, installed the HP Print app, and added my printer to the app. Unfortunately, this is what I see when I attempt to print an envelope:

Screenshot 2016-07-06 at 4.10.12 PM.png

As you can see there is only one page size option here. Is there a way to add sizes?

Retired
Message 6 of 10 (670 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi @cyberkni,

It looks as though the envelope document needs to be created because there are no envelope paper sizes in Google Docs.

I have no support documentation regarding printing envelopes from Google Docs. This may be an inquiry better suited for the Chromebook Central Help Forum.

If this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. Smiley Happy

Thanks!

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

Top Student
Message 7 of 10 (646 Views)

I'm pretty sure the problem here is somewhere between HP ePrint and Google Cloud Print. I agree that making an envelope shaped document in Google Docs is problematic (I found a way by uploading a LibreOffice document that was already defined in the size of a #10 envelope). However, there are other tools in the Google suite I can use here.

I can easily create a envelope sized document(9.5"x4.125") using Google Drawings. However, when I go to print it I still do not have the option to pick an envelope paper size. This problem persists both via Cloud Print and the ePrint extension.

Student
Message 8 of 10 (620 Views)

It depends on if you are using MS Word, at lease v. 7 or greater. If you go to Mailings option, Create and, then choose Envelopes or Labels, you can fill in a lot of informtion as well as choose the feed for the printer. 

I tried using the tray for an hp Laserjet 8600+ and it would not work, so I am about to try the top/fax feeder. I like the  top/fax feeder because it has a sound effect when the envelope is load on the right right side, but there is not really an option to choose the fax/feeder so this ultimately is unsucessful.

Back to the tray option, after I pressed down the metal inset in the trayI was able to properly load - there was no sound effect but by loading on the rightside was able to get it fed by the rollers. 

Mine printed upside down - doesn't matter. But Orientationwise the sixth option from the left or the first from the right seems to be the only workable  FOR THIS MODEL PRINTER.  FACEDOWN otherway.

Top Student
Message 9 of 10 (559 Views)

This post is specifically about using Google Docs, Cloud Print, and my HP OfficeJet Pro 8260. I do not have MS Word to do what you've suggested.

Tutor
Message 10 of 10 (307 Views)

Adding on to the original poster in this thread. We found the identical issue with the Print from Chrome option not having an envelope page size. The computer and the Print from Chrome setup are brand new.  It's a pretty significant omission on HP's part and it's one that basically makes the computer useless for one of its intended purposes.

Of note: there's a Windows machine right next to the Chrome box, and we can print envelopes just fine from that machine - to the same HP laser printer.

Note: we did have to install the Envelopes add-on to get the documents generated correctly. Those documents are the ones we printed successfully from Windows and were not able to print from Chrome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation