Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ok, so I have a really frustrating issue. 

The whole idea of the ink programme is to keep the printer on all the time so that they can check status of ink cartridges right?

So why is it that when I go to print something...99% of the time, I have to restart my laptop AND printer before it will print anything? Then its ok for a couple of prints, until there is a pause and it stops again.

My HP laptop (windows 10) Tells me that it cannot connect to my printer. It is offline. 

So I went through all the advice for offline printers. I have spent many many hours trying to solve this and I know how to use google. None of it works.

IF the computer can communicate with the printer, the scan doctor facility cannot find any issue.

If it can't, the scan doctor tells me that it cannot do anything as it cannot communicate with the printer. Well...no sugar sherlock, I could have told it that when I have been unable to print anything. 

I had a static ip address, but when I changed isp I noticed that the numbers were similar, so I changed it again. And updated it on my HP software programme. 

A couple of days ago,  it wouldn't print, but I tried offline as a last resort and it worked. (NOrmally it doesn't) today DD needed something printing in 5 minutes before going for a bus. It wouldn't print as per usual. 

However,  something different for a change. Since I changed the static router number my HP Aio remote on my laptop can see it, and says its connected with a green tick. And I could print the document that way, but I couldn't as it would only let me do pdf files. So I looked into it on my AiO app on my iphone and low and behold, I could see the printer there too. And print it from there. So its got to be my laptop.

I recently removed all hp files, and readded. I have also checked all drivers etc. And uninstalled the printer and reinstalled it many times. Updated drivers etc.  Its got to be something that is switched off in my laptops programme so it cannot see it. 

Any suggestions?
I tried disabling scan to computer activation in start up as someone suggested elsewhere that is can cause issues (because it does come up with scan to computer no longer activated some length into the computer being on) so that clearly didn't work.  What else can I try? 

I know that I can reboot the laptop everytime I want to print, but I shouldn't have to, so why should I? Its not always convinient...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your router doesn't 'allow' you the static IP.  Once you set the starting and ending IP addresss you are done.  Now in the printer you set a static IP outside that ranage.

Do this in the router.   Start 192.168.1.100  End at 192.168.1.150

Set the printer to 192.168.1.20.

Now set your TCP/IP address to 192.168.1.20.

Make sure all esle has been done.  Now do the following...

Here is the additional information now posted.

1.    Wireless printers only work on the 2.4Ghz wireless band not the 5.0Ghz band.
2.    Verify the printer is on the latest firmware by checking with the HP Support site.
3.    Check all wireless devices in your home for interference.  Check microwaves, baby monitors, wireless phones and wireless alarm systems are a big culprit.  Any of these will knock out your wireless printer intermittently.

In the router: (Refer to your router manual for information)

* The following makes your router more secure and hack proof
* Keep all wireless devices better connected

1.    Use a fixed wireless channel like 1, 6 or 11, never 'auto', try channel 1 first then the rest.
2.    Set router to 20Mhz bandwidth only, or 145Mbps depending on router.
3.    Always use WPA2-AES (Personal-PSK) encryption, but you can try ‘mixed’ mode.
4.    Disable WPS and never use it and disable UPnP for the routers security. Nobody can hack your system now and helps with wireless connectivity (if you want to know why, search the web).
5.    If you have a dual band router (2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz bands), make sure the SSID’s are NOT the same, they must be different for all bands including all Guest networks.
6.    SSID broadcast must be enabled.
7.    Always make sure your router is on the latest firmware.
8.    Save all settings. Power off both, wait 2 mins.  Power on router wait 2 mins.
9.    Power on printer and verify it reconnects to router.

If needed and you assigned a static IP address, try using 8.8.8.8 for the Preferred DNS server and 8.8.4.4 as the Alternate DNS server in the printer.  (Last thing to try in the printer)

If you have Windows 7/8/8.1 is Network Discovery on or off?

1.    Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network and Sharing Center/Advanced sharing settings.
2.    Under Home or Work (current profile) / Network Discovery.
3.    Select "Turn on network discovery" and save changes.

Now the last thing to do once all the above has been tried and you still have the same issue, fully de-install and remove the printer and all its software.  Use this program here:

http://www.iobit.com/en/advanceduninstaller.php

Use Powerful Scan at the end and delete all registry entries shown.

Now go back and reinstall the Full Featured Software and Drivers from the HP web site.

Last ditch effort - If your printer has an Ethernet connection, suggest you get some Power Line Adapters and convert your house wiring to Ethernet for your printer.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

You said you set a static IP?  Let's check.

What is the DHCP starting address in the router?

What is the DHCP ending address in the router?

What is the static IP address you set in the printer?

HP Recommended

@sabretooth04 wrote:

You said you set a static IP?  Let's check.

What is the DHCP starting address in the router?

What is the DHCP ending address in the router?

What is the static IP address you set in the printer?

Starting is 192.168.1.64

Ending is 192.168.1.254

the static ip is 192.168.1.216

So far since changing it this morning for a second time, I am still connected, but I cannot say if I will be in a few days time lol. 

I reset the ip as the old one for my old isp ended in .71. Noticing all the new connections are around it, I did the hp suggested one. 

Thanks for getting back to me 🙂

HP Recommended

Unfortunately you do not have a static IP as far as the router is concerned.  Static IP have to be outside the DHCP address of the router.  As you can see... it is not.

These settings are for setting up your wireless or wired printers to:

* Stay connected to your router
* Fix printer ‘offline’ status
* Wake from sleep mode
* Speed up wireless printing

While DHCP is convenient, devices such as printers (wired and wireless) should always be assigned a static (fixed) IP address manually to avoid conflicts on your wireless network and MUST be outside the DHCP range of the router. This is because printers are the only external devices that do not have the ability to automatically interrupt the router for a new DHCP address once the least time expires.  

After setting the static IP, the computer(s) must be updated under Printer Properties/Ports to show a Standard TCP/IP port with the printers’ new static IP address.

1. Set a static IP in the printer outside the DHCP range of the router (check your manual).  This Static IP is important as DHCP IP addresses will change upon different power up sequences of your devices.  You always want your printer to come up with the same IP address all the time.  See how to do this here:

http://www.watchingthenet.com/linksys-tip-assign-static-ip-address-to-printer-while-using-dhcp-on-yo...

This is for Linksys routers but can be used for all routers. Verify your DHCP range and change this first if needed.  After setting the static IP, the computer(s) must be updated under Printer Properties/Ports to show a Standard TCP/IP port with the printers IP address.  

To see why this problem exists and how to fix it, watch this video here for Windows.   Scroll down for MAC information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEqvUKxWmq4

How to set a Standard TCP/IP port.  This is important.

a.    Click Start/Devices and Printers.  Right click on your HP Printer.  Select Printer Properties.  Select the Ports tab at the top.
b.    Select Add Port.  Select Standard TCP/IP Port.  Select New Port.
c.    Follow the Add Port Wizard.  Under Printer Name or IP Address, input the Static IP address you just set from the above information.  Example:  192.168.1.15.  The IP address will be copied under Port Name.  This is OK to leave this alone or you can put in your Printer Model.
d.    Select Next and Finish the Wizard.

If you create a TCP/IP port without a static IP above, you may lose your TCP/IP connection and have the same issue. This is because your network has powered up differently giving you a different DHCP address to the printer that does not match the TCP/IP address above.  This could occur at anytime just like the video shows.

For MAC PCs perform the above Static IP setting in the router and then watch here on how to perform your IP setting for MAC computers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5tNFjEBDOw

By performing the above, the printers Embedded Web Server (EWS) will now work all the time by going to your Printers Static IP address in your browser.  

2. Verify in the printer that 'Auto Off/Sleep/Energy Saving Mode' is disabled and/or the System Mode Time Out is set to zero (0) if your printer supports this.  Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) by going to the printers IP address in your browsers address bar, click Settings Tab/Auto Off, or use the Printer Assistant, Printer Home Page (EWS). Also check your Printer Properties. This feature is automatically disabled when the printer is connected to a computer or mobile device, a network, or a fax line (if supported) you may not find this setting.

3. If the printer supports and has IPv6 enabled, disable IPv6 in the printer.

4. Make sure printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet and not into a UPS, power strip or surge protector. This will cause the printer to drop offline and disconnect (yes verified!).

5.  Make sure your printer and router are at least 5 feet apart from each other.

Additional steps to be taken if you continue to have the problem (if they are posted)…

Click on the link to subscribe and get the latest video uploads: https://goo.gl/y4Rcn1 This tutorial shows how to add a printer using the IP address for macOS 10.12 Sierra. The added printer is sometimes more stable and also helps to resolve some print and scan issues such printer offline. HP ...
Printer offline issues can happen because the IP address of the printer keeps changing. This video explains how that can happen and what to do to fix it. For more tech tips, check out https://www.linearthoughts.co.uk . 00:00 - Introduction 00:18 - The Problem and Why it Occurs 03:47 - Solution ...
HP Recommended

You are correct, it is not! Good spotting. That was the one that the wizard suggested for me too grrrr. I should have realised that myself. I think the auto thing threw me as I assumed it would have done that.

I am pretty sure I set it up properly last time as it was definately outside the range, but still had the issue, but I will have another go at it later and try again (school run soon)

I cannot change the Auto off function. It is greyed out and tells me it cannot be altered as it is a "feature"

The printer is directly into a wall socket...and the router is in the hallway, printer is in the living area. 

I will get back to you once changed, and then time will tell in a few days..usually when its 11pm and son has decided he needs to print out his homework. 

Thank you for all your help and clear instructions! I will print them out then I can follow them step by step. 

HP Recommended

Changed ip address to end with .30. All seems to be working. With doing the address for the port though, it shows up twice in my devices (control panel/devices and printers) is this normal and shall I ignore it? And I disabled ip6, will report back in a few days. 

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

You will have to find out which icon is set to the new IP address via the ports and delete other one.  But that can wait.

HP Recommended

Ok so that worked for a few days :HalfEyes:

We went on holiday so OH turned off the printer as we do when we go away (Otherwise it is on all the time as I am in the instant ink programme)

Its been on a few days, I went to print last night...it refused. Printed out printer report, it said it was ready, all connected. in the windows app it said was offline. So I thought, well its got to be a printer to computer thing. Only when I checked in the plusnet hub connections, it said it wasn't connected. 

Switched Printer off twice, retstarted laptop twice and rebooted the router after leaving it off a few minutes. No change. 

So I reset the printers network connections again. I went to make a new ip address outside of the range and the router won't let me. It said it has to be inside the range. Which I do not understand as I did everything the article said last time and it worked then but not now.  

All I can do is give it an ip in the range and tick to keep that ip address on the printer. 

So it said it was connected to the internet and connected and ready, but I still couldn't print. It still said it was offline despite all being changed on the laptops settings. So I ended up removing it, readding it and reinstalling all drivers etc again. 

90 minutes to get one half sheet of writing printed. 

It shouldn't have to be so hard to print. I have never had this much trouble with non hp printers and seeing as google is ful of people with the same issue, and having done all you advised themselves, surely there should be a fix by now? I am convinced it is something in windows not co-operating. 

HP Recommended

Your router doesn't 'allow' you the static IP.  Once you set the starting and ending IP addresss you are done.  Now in the printer you set a static IP outside that ranage.

Do this in the router.   Start 192.168.1.100  End at 192.168.1.150

Set the printer to 192.168.1.20.

Now set your TCP/IP address to 192.168.1.20.

Make sure all esle has been done.  Now do the following...

Here is the additional information now posted.

1.    Wireless printers only work on the 2.4Ghz wireless band not the 5.0Ghz band.
2.    Verify the printer is on the latest firmware by checking with the HP Support site.
3.    Check all wireless devices in your home for interference.  Check microwaves, baby monitors, wireless phones and wireless alarm systems are a big culprit.  Any of these will knock out your wireless printer intermittently.

In the router: (Refer to your router manual for information)

* The following makes your router more secure and hack proof
* Keep all wireless devices better connected

1.    Use a fixed wireless channel like 1, 6 or 11, never 'auto', try channel 1 first then the rest.
2.    Set router to 20Mhz bandwidth only, or 145Mbps depending on router.
3.    Always use WPA2-AES (Personal-PSK) encryption, but you can try ‘mixed’ mode.
4.    Disable WPS and never use it and disable UPnP for the routers security. Nobody can hack your system now and helps with wireless connectivity (if you want to know why, search the web).
5.    If you have a dual band router (2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz bands), make sure the SSID’s are NOT the same, they must be different for all bands including all Guest networks.
6.    SSID broadcast must be enabled.
7.    Always make sure your router is on the latest firmware.
8.    Save all settings. Power off both, wait 2 mins.  Power on router wait 2 mins.
9.    Power on printer and verify it reconnects to router.

If needed and you assigned a static IP address, try using 8.8.8.8 for the Preferred DNS server and 8.8.4.4 as the Alternate DNS server in the printer.  (Last thing to try in the printer)

If you have Windows 7/8/8.1 is Network Discovery on or off?

1.    Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network and Sharing Center/Advanced sharing settings.
2.    Under Home or Work (current profile) / Network Discovery.
3.    Select "Turn on network discovery" and save changes.

Now the last thing to do once all the above has been tried and you still have the same issue, fully de-install and remove the printer and all its software.  Use this program here:

http://www.iobit.com/en/advanceduninstaller.php

Use Powerful Scan at the end and delete all registry entries shown.

Now go back and reinstall the Full Featured Software and Drivers from the HP web site.

Last ditch effort - If your printer has an Ethernet connection, suggest you get some Power Line Adapters and convert your house wiring to Ethernet for your printer.

HP Recommended

Thanks, it was late last night, I will try again.

As to the last line, I saw that posted elsewhere.  Last ditch effort won't be buying wires to connect to a printer across the other side of the room, its a stupid suggestion from the original poster. If you cannot get your wireless printer to print wirelessly, then you buy a different printer from another manufacturer.  Funnily enough though it doesn't seem to have a problem printing from my phone app....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.