Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 5510 B111
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I replaced my Ink cartridge twice (official HP Ink cartridge bought on Amazon and Best Buy) but the printer keeps telling me they are not compliant with my printer.

I guess the printer has a problem then. I cannot print anything and i can just throw away the first ink cartridge I bought. If this is not a cartridge issue then the error message is incorrect. Is is a known issue? What can I do now?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @JulienO,

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! This is a great location to get resolutions and interact with experts from the community. I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand that the printer you are having issues with ink cartridge not recognized after inserting new ink cartridges. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Which country do you reside in and was the printer purchased from the same country?

Did you replace the cartridge recently?

Did the error appear all of sudden while using an existing cartridge which worked fine earlier on the same printer?

Are you able to make a copy from the printer?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

If you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would personally suggest this could be an issue with the printer hardware as you have already tried replacing the ink cartridges twice. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for available service related options.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am currently living in the US while I bought the printer in France. 

This problem happened as soon as I replaced the cartridge. With the previous cartridge it was woring fine. 

I cannot do anything with the printer currently since I am stuck on the screen saying cartidge are incompatible. 

I tried the reset as you mentioned as well as the instructions part of the link you provided.

I also tried to call support. Otherwise, I cannot find the sections you talked about in your steps by step instructions.

Here is what I tried:

(1) Once the support page opens I clicked on the Country but there was not a HP model number on the right. So I entered the number in the "Search all Support" and click on "Search"

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information. It was not my contact information but my printer's information.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you. This last step did not work. I only had the forum option available. 

HP Recommended

Hi @JulienO,

As you have already mentioned in your post that you purchased this printer in France and you have moved to USA, Which means the cartridges change and this means that the printer settings needs to be changed. I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support so that they can help you perform a regionalization reset on the printer which should actually take care of the issue.

For more assistance, please follow this link: HP Printers - Finding Ink Cartridges after Moving to Another Country/Region

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ok, thanks for the confirmation. However I still cannot contact the support. in the Contact Support section I have the screen attached. How can I do to contact them and know their secret phone number?

ContactSupportPage.JPG

HP Recommended

Hi @JulienO,

As I understand you have diagnosed the issue to be a printer hardware and you are having difficulty contacting our HP phone support. Don't worry I'll do my best to help you with this.

I am sending you a private message with the phone number to contact our HP phone support  team. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, my friend purchased the wrong ink for my printer opened it and install it already the ink he brought is 63 ink in stead if 62 for my HP envy 5540 how can i use this ink (63) with my printer.

HP Recommended

@Tbrooklyng Welcome to HP Community!

As you have stated that you have purchased the wrong ink cartridges for your printer. This printer uses 62 ink cartridges. Please see the below screenshot.

Please contact point of purchase for a replacement or please reach out to the HP Support in your region for an exchange,

I hope that answers your query,  
If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 
And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.
Have a great day ahead.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.