Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Same problem here. Service just doesn't seem to work.

Mark

HP Recommended

I'm still trying to get it to work, when I click enable it gives me a connection error, I went as far as to purchase a different printer that supports cloud printing, and cloud printing is going to be stopping in December oh, I wish there was another service because some devices need this type of printing

HP Recommended

@Toby100  and others...

This is an older abandoned thread.  It is never likely to gain the attention of anyone who can check the current situation for the subject of your inquiry.

Discussion

That said, notice that no one is including the model of the printer they are using.  This is less helpful than you would guess - in this instance, the printer model and what that model supports, is important.

This is a one-time response to this question based on my own experience. 

Nothing from here down is HP telling you how HP supports the Scan-to-Email or ePrint service.

For those reading:

There are - at this writing - two primary methodologies used to send your scans and documents to ePrint.

Which method your printer uses depends on the printer model and whether that printer supports the ability to understand SMTP.  That is, can the printer handle the SMTP protocol used to send and process email?  If not, then the printer must depend on a much more "round about" method sometimes known as Scan-to-Email App or ePrint App.

• If the printer lacks a full function printer control panel,
  • If the printer lacks the direct ability necessary to process and define the SMTP mail settings (using the panel or EWS)
  • If the printer does not support Digital Sending and Digital Filing (Find and read the Datasheet / Specifications)
  • If the printer is generally a budget printer,

Then

The printer is likely using the "App" method for Scan-to-Email and ePrint.

And..

The App method is clever; is some ways the methodology is brilliant.

The App method is also fraught with additional places where things can go wrong.

Comments - Personal Observations - In other words, NOT from HP

When the process fails "for you" and not for me, for example, when the cause is for the failure is undefined and the usual fixes do not work (for example, restarting Web Services),

Then

The error is perhaps one of those undefined, long-road-around-the-globe, hard-to-track errors likely caused by the data getting lost in transit, one piece of the data getting lost during the ride to-from-back-forth to and from the servers, the incredible amount of traffic on the network in your region - or another region - or "somewhere". 

It might even be a failure of the network in your home / office to handle the job.  Note that local network failure is the least likely scenario - it does happen and no one likes to acknowledge they have a wimpy router / network that is causing problems.

Note that all of these same issues can happen with Digital Sending.

Failure less common and less likely using direct Digital Sending as compared to using the App method.

===========================================================================

Printers that support Digital Sending are more expensive than the printers that use the App method.

In other words, Digital Sending is not included in every printer. 

For example, Mid-to-High end OfficeJet and mid-to-high end Laser printers might include Digital Filing -

Deskjet printers do not include this feature.

Scan to Email – Methodology

The basic methodology used with "Scan-to-Email" and “ePrint” is (printer) model dependent. 

Help for Scan to Email Accounts – Printer Control Panel

HP Printers - Scan to Email Cannot Access Email Accounts

EWS Scan to Email Setup

Digital Filing supported.

If the printer is on the network and the printer supports sending direct to email, look for the Scan to Email setup in the Embedded Web Server (EWS).

Example – EWS Scan to Email Setup

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Scan > Scan to Email > Scan to Email Setup

“Apps” Scan to Email Setup

Printers without the ability to connect directly to the smtp server might use the Scan-to-Email App.   

On some printers the Scan to Email App is available on the printer's front panel in "Apps".

Web Services (running on the printer) is used to communicate between the printer and the Cloud servers where the email is processed.  For this reason, Web Services must be running on the printer: HP Printers - Turning on Web Services

Example – “Apps” Scan to Email Setup

On the printer control panel > Touch Scan > Touch Email

Follow the prompts:  Welcome > Continue > Add your Email address > Done > Continue

Wait for your PIN number to be sent (emailed) to the email address > Open email, read PIN

Touch Continue > PIN > Enter Pin number > Done

Notes

Web Services provides the connection between the printer and the HP Connected / Cloud servers that are used to register and process the email.  For this reason, the HP Cloud Servers must be running and providing service.

During Scan-to-Email App registration (setup), an HP cloud server sends (back to the owner) a confirmation email that includes a PIN number.  The PIN is used to verify the owner's email address information.  The PIN is used to prove "I am me".

If there is a break in the service (Web Services communication between home network and the Cloud server(s)), the PIN cannot be sent and / or emails dependent on the Cloud servers cannot be processed.

NOTE:

If the Cloud Servers are not responding, there is normally no “fix” except to wait it out.

Website Support Troubleshooting, How-to, Video Tutorials

Help – Contact HP / Cloud Services

Indicate that you need help for Web Services

Contact HP Support – Assistance Portal

NOTE:  The contact submission is provided as a courtesy.  At this writing, during the Pandemic of 2020, it is unlikely support can accept requests of this type.  Response Centers are overwhelmed.  It is not that you are unimportant - it is that the line of those needing help of all kinds is thousands of people long.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you Dragon, I do IT for a living,  my printer is the M1212nf,great printer,  the eprint was working, now when you click enable in the web services it doesn't enable it gives a connection error,  there is no error, my router is a new self organizing ac and ax protocol router ,not a cheap one by far, I am using the app, my new printer I set up scan to folder ,email, and have my fax forwarding to an email,  so my question is why doesn't the eprint work when it is a key feature of the HP printers?

HP Recommended

I had this problem today and ultimately got ePrint to work after updating the Print Apps (select "Update Print Apps" on App screen on printer).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.