Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp 2542
Microsoft Windows XP
Hp 2542 printer.
I am unable to print through wi-fi as i dont know the password.
I got a new router recently and reset the printer and now get asked for wifi password to connect to the printer.
I have tried to press the wiresless and blackwhite buttons on control panel to print wireless settings page but the page prints blank page so this is not an option.

Ive spent about 4 hrs trying to resolve this including master reset 😞
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have an HP6700.  On the control panel, I went to set up, network, direct wirless,security passcode, and printers wireless direct passcode appears.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I have an HP6700.  On the control panel, I went to set up, network, direct wirless,security passcode, and printers wireless direct passcode appears.

Hope this helps

HP Recommended
My printer control panel has basic buttons only. Standby, Wireless, black&white, colour.
HP Recommended

I see you have a router you want to connect to.  You do NOT want Wireless Direct enabled on the printer.  It should be turned off.

You WiFi password is in your router.  It is the same as you use to connect you computer to your SSID network name.  You will have to access your routers admin pages and check under the wireless tab for your password.

Replacing/changing your wireless router, try here. 

http://www.hp.com/global/au/en/wireless/reconfiguring-system-help3.html

Make sure your router is set to a fixed wireless channel like 1, 6 or 11, never ‘auto’.  Try channel 1 first then the others one at a time.  Make sure printer and router are at least 5 feet apart.

Make and model of modem and router?

However if you have a Gateway (modem+router) device, all Gateway devices are terrible for wireless connectivity.   If this does not work, suggest you put that gateway device in full bridge mode and install your own high quality router that YOU have full control over. 

HP Recommended
Sorry i wasnt clear. I want to connect to the printer via wifi from my phone and other devices.
Im sure my printer is connected to the router fine.
However when tring to print from my devices through wifi i can see my printer come up as "HP2542" however it also asks me for a password which i do not know.
HP Recommended
Ive resolved the issue by going to the online settings Network>wireless setup wizard which opened a window which was blocked but after viewing in a different browser i was able to see my password.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.