Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I understand. We shall get back to you in 4-5 business days regarding this.

Thanks 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Let's try these steps:

• Firstly Ensure that the Android OS and the HP Smart App are updated to the latest version on all the devices.
  • Also check for Printer Firmware update via EWS of the Printer.
  • Then Ensure that the devices are connected to the same 2.4 Ghz Network.
    • Some Dual Band Routers have Same SSID Name for 2.4 Ghz as well as 5.0 GHz Frequency. Hence Ensure the devices are connected to the 2.4 GHz only as the printer will get detected only on 2.4 GHz.
    • Customer can go to the Router page and rename the 5.0 GHz network add 5.0 as the prefix or whichever way customer wants. Devices connected to this frequency will need to get connected again.
  • Also go to HP SMART App on each of the devices.
    • Go to App Settings
    • Make sure the 5.0 Ghz is off. If it is not off then touch it to make it off.
    • Also Ensure that all the devices are using the same HP Smart ID. The Email address shown should be same.
    • If still the printer is not getting detected then Click on the “+” Symbol to add a new printer using IP Address of the printer.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

1. As I stated before: I am on the last before latest update, but wont update, because in release log there is nothing about wifi issues https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-m28-m31-printer-series/16647082... , but there is Reminder:Dynamic security enabled printer. This Firmware includes dynamic security measures, which may prevent supplies with non-HP chips or circuitry from working now or in the future. More at: www.hp.com/go/learnaboutsupplies.
I am not sure that I can always find easy and fast HP original toner supplies, and don't like HP to force me to by originals. On this firmware I am on I can use compatible toners, and not sure on latest how it is. Can you tell me if latest firmware is going to let me use supplies with non-HP chips or it is enforced in latest firmware. Specifically for this model.

2.  HP Smart App and all phones are using latest updates available (phones are on Android 9 and 10, Samsung, Xiaomi, and Coolpad, also Lenovo tablet).

3. All are connected to 2.4G WiFi. My router don't even have 5Ghz. At other testing location, we also tested on 2.4G network with disabled 5G on both phone settings and Hp Smart App settings.

Still cannot work. Just one and only one device can connect, after putting the printer in setup mode. Only the device that firs makes Wifi setup process of the printer is allowed to show the printer in app.

Regards and waiting for solution.

p.s. As I ask around, am am not the only one with this problem on m28-31w series, and also m15w. People that I ask and we do testing are also having same problems if trying to use printer as wireless network printer. WiFi Direct Works just fine. So because WiFi Network works great on computers and laptops, it must be something with HP smart app or/and HP Printing service driver on Android. Just for info, I have Epson Color Wifi Inkjet, that works flawlessly on every platform as wireless network printer.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the update. I shall get back to you once I've this shared with the concerned team.

Thanks 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for waiting 🙂

Regarding your first point: Here is a link to make you understand the feature: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05310148/

Please ensure you're using the same HP Connected account to login on different devices. If a Printer is added in one account then it cannot be added again in a different account.

However if we login to the same account on a different device (Mobile or PC), then the printer will show up on all the devices.

The key here is login to the same HP Connected Account and connect to the same Wi Fi Network.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Regarding the first point, that was in fact my point. HP with Dynamic Security Enabled Printers, is changing whenever it wants, security on MY printer, and force US to use consumables that in my case are much much expensive, and second is not accessible all the time in my place. So I must use compatible cartridges and firmware update might stop me from using it, and never ask me, or give me chance to choose if I want HP protection or not. 

Back on topic.
1. Yes on Every device is the same one and only my HP account, that I am writing this post from. Also Linking printer to account is not good think, becouse we are speaking of LAN network printing. In that case if I let someone login to my WiFi, a want and expect to let him use my printer over WiFi.

Nevertheless, 4 devices logged on same account, and only on 1 HP SMART is showing the printer.
2. On all devices HP SMART regularly updated and checked in playstore for latest version before responding to you.

3. On HPconnected.com (HPsmart.com), if I login there is no evidence of my linked printer. It asks for Printer Claim CODE, that is available from "Web Services Info" paga from instructions, but this printer M28w, doesnt even have Web Services Page in the EWS. Is this page and request for printer claim code even relevant to my printer?

So for now no progress. Not me not 2 friends one with same printer (and with latest available firmware - so it is not firmware thing) and one with M17 series. 

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for the update. Give me some to get back to you 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm back 🙂

We have tested the same with 2 printers and it works good for us. However you will have to add the printer at least once on each account for it to show up always.

If the printer is not showing up on other devices, then the only option is to add the printer again using the Add printer “+” option.

A printer added on one of the devices will show up in the list while adding and will get added.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Just to clarify. I dont have multiple account. Just one, on all devices.

If I try to add the + sign on every other devices, rather the one it works on, the master lets say, it searches for printers, says No Printer in Setup Mode, witch is normal, or not. The printer is setup allready so normaly it is not in setup mode.

Nevertheless let aside, Smart App, what about normal HP printing services, Mopria, etc, printer is not detected anywhere, even if hard put printers IP. I ha e send you picture of error before. Only WiFi direct is found.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Apologies for jumping in unannounced @Betty0610.

@MarVMKD I would also add, I won't be surprised if such behavior is caused due to any connectivity related problem.

Please print and evaluate both a Network Summary and Wireless Test reports:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05874648

On the Network Summary report, locate the TCP/IP(V4) address, can you reach it from the browser on your Android devices?

Could you please share a picture of the printed reports via a Private Message?

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.