Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
photosmart B210
Chrome OS

My 2 year old chromebook will not recognize my HP Photosmart B210 printer after printing perfectly well with this printer until recently. I have tried every step in the Forums and on the internet. This printer works wirelessly with every other device that we own, including Microsoft and Apple products. I have additionally tried restoring my Chromebook to start anew and register the printer. It fails to recognize it. I have tried turning off the router, the printer, then the Chromebook in that order and then turning them back on in that order. This printer was previously registered in Google Cloud Print, I am signed in, and the CB previously displayed the B210 as an available printer. I tried all these steps again to no avail.

I am down to either getting a new printer or a new Chromebook but which one? Anyone have any additional ideas?

Thanks, Jock

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi @Jock3,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

Go to Printing with the HP Print for Chrome App for detailed steps to add the HP Print for Chrome extension for printing over a wireless network from your Chromebook.

Let me know if that helps!

Cloud Queen
I am an HP employee. I work on behalf of HP.

Click the thumbs up + button if I have helped you.

Mark Accepted Solution if your problem is solved.
HP Recommended

sorry Cloud Queen, I followed those instructions, downloaded the app and thought I was cooking with gas. Was able to set up the Manage print function and it showed recognizing my Photosmart B210. Selected a page to print, hit print in the dialog box and the HP app print window came up in the lower right hand corner and said "printing" but waiting, then the dialog box went away. I checked the printer, it is just sitting there.

Just to verify, I printed a page from my Microsoft laptop, both of our i phones, both of our ipads. All printed perfectly on the printer. Also to clarify, I had never installed the HP app before this and for almost two years this printer and my CB communicated and printed perfectly.

thanks for trying to help, I dont believe the problem is with the printer.

Jock

HP Recommended

I have the same exact problem on the same exact date.  I think HP did an update and messed up the printers.  I hope they fix it soon.

HP Recommended

Hi @HpNoPrint,

Thank you for stopping by the HP forums.  A Good day to you. 🙂 I read the post regarding printing issues with your Chromebook that does not recognize your printer. I will be delighted to assist you with this.

Smart diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂 You are an important HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. I also take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

For better clarity, I would require more information regarding this to assist you better.

• Did this happen after any kind of software or app update?
  • Please provide the complete printer model# for me to assist you better.

Please check this link out for further assistance: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04122530 and follow all the steps from this link to try and fix the issue. Please keep me informed.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Tried everything and Chromebooks still no longer recognize the printer as of 3/13/2017.  Prior to that, worked great.

HP Recommended

DavidSMP, thank you for trying to help me further. You asked two questions and my answers are no, this did not happen to my knowledge as a result of a software update or an app. Of course, Chrome OS updates happen automatically with no announcement or description of what is contained within the update. No apps have been added or updated.

My printer is an HP Photosmart B210, serial #CNOC92P8PQ, FPU#CN216-64001 and is an eprint capable printer. It is on the same network router as my Chromebook and currently shows connected. To repeat, this printer is currently working wirelessly with all of our other non-chrome devices.

The instructions in your web link say for an HP ePrint printer to make sure Web Services is on. It is. Next was to note the printer "email address". This printer has no email address, it has an I.P. Address! The next instructions say "go to connect your HP printer with Google Cloud Print", then type your "email address in the email text box". I have no idea what your folks are talking about. The only thing you can do in the Chromebook is to go to advanced settings and then select Manage Cloud Print. When you do this, there is no box for an email address or an I.P. Address. It is supposed to work by displaying the printer and letting you select and add it. As other people are saying, the PRINTER IS NOT RECOGNIZED. This used to work fine after I registered it the first time a couple of years ago. Does any of this help diagnose?

HP Recommended

Hi @HpNoPrint,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂 Please try these steps:

What if I cannot print from my Chromebook?

A print job might not print for various reasons, such as an unregistered printer, outdated firmware, or a connection issue.

Step 1: Make sure the printer is registered with Google Cloud Print

To print from the cloud, your printer must be registered with Google Cloud Print.

1. On the Chromebook, open the Chrome browser.

2. Go to Google Cloud Print Printers (in English).

A list of your Google Cloud Print printers displays.

• If your printer displays, try to print.

• If your HP ePrint printer does not display, note your printer's email address, go to Connect Your HP Printer with Google Cloud Print (in English), and then follow the on-screen instructions. Once you complete the registration, try to print.

• If your non-HP ePrint printer does not display, and then download the Google Cloud Print Service and follow the on-screen instructions. Once you complete the registration, try to print.

If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Select your Google Cloud Print registered printer

To print from Google Cloud Print, make sure to select the printer you registered with Google Cloud Print.

1. On the Chromebook, open the document or image you want to print.

2. Click the Print icon .

The Google Cloud Print window opens.

3. Under Destination, click the Change button.

The Select a destination window opens.

4. Under Google Cloud Print, select your printer.

Try to print. If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Step 3: Update the printer firmware

If your printer is already connected to a network and you registered your printer with Google Cloud Print, the printer firmware might be outdated. Go to Updating Firmware on the Printer for more information.

• If the firmware is outdated, follow the instructions to update the firmware, and then try to print. If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

• If the firmware is up-to-date, continue to the next step.

Step 4: Check the connection between your printer and your network

Try these recommendations and procedures to help troubleshoot and avoid wireless connectivity issues.

• Restart the printer and the computer: Restarting the computer and the printer can clear possible error conditions.

• Confirm the printer connection and network name: On the printer, make sure that the blue light next to the Wireless icon () is on and steady, then touch the Wireless network menu to make sure that the printer is connected to the same network as your computer.

• Move the printer and router closer together: Move the printer and the computer closer to your wireless router, but no closer than 6 ft (1.8 m). Wireless signals can be weaker at greater distances between the printer and the router.

• Manually connect the printer to the network: Many HP printers have a wireless setup wizard tool available on the printer control panel network or wireless settings menus. Follow the on-screen instructions to type your network name and password to connect the printer to the network.

• Restart the router: If you are experiencing a slow or intermittent wireless connection, try restarting your router. Consult your router manufacturer, Internet service provider, or network administrator for instructions on how to restart the router.

• Check the router band setting: Many routers can operate in both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz frequency bands, but not all HP printers support both bands. Make sure the 2.4 GHz router band is enabled and broadcasting. If the router broadcasts separate network names (SSIDs) for each band, connect the printer to the 2.4 GHz band SSID.

• Check your firewall software: Your firewall software might prevent the printer from accessing the computer. Accept or allow any firewall messages that display during the printer software download and installation, or configure the software to allow HP downloads and installations.

• Check for obstructions between the printer and the router: Remove any metal objects between the printer, the computer, and the access point (router). Objects such as refrigerators or metal bookcases can interfere with wireless signals.

• Check for other devices that emit radio and wireless signals: Move any devices that emit radio signals, such as microwaves and cordless telephones, farther away from the printer. They can interfere with wireless signals.

• Set the IP address on the printer: Your printer can bypass automatic IP address assignment by DHCP and use any valid IP address you choose. Use the front panel menu to type an IP address that is valid for use on your local area network.

and check if it resolves the issue. If it does not please back up your files to an external flash drive and perform a power wash or a factory reset of the Chromebook as it could be an issue with the Chrome operating system from this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03662007 and this should do the trick for you.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

David, sorry, but we are evidently not communicating what is occurring on the Chrome OS operating system. When you either select the print icon or enter control/P thru the keyboard, you do not get the options you are talking about. With no printer found you only get a SAVE option. This does no good because you can't print from Google Docs! All the other stuff you have suggested I have tried. Power washed my CB twice!

HP Recommended

What you don't get is printing was working fine and then completely stopped.  All your suggestions and links have been tried.  They do not fix the issue.  The problem is outside the normal set up for a Chromebook.  I have two different Chromebooks running on two different levels of the OS and neither can see the printer any longer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.