Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp Envy 5661
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I own an HP Envy 5661 printer. In my wireless connection option my printer/router appears as "Direct-75-HP Envy 5660 series.  When I try to connect i am asked for a network security key or a pin from the router label.  I have tried the IP address, and the product number, but neither of these work. Can you direct me towards how to utilize this function?  The reason is that it is five bars instead of 2 or 3 with my other router options.

Thank you,

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

You have Wireless Direct enabled.  Since you have a router, disable Wireless Direct in the printer.  Connect the printer to your routers SSID with password. 

HP Recommended

Hi!

I have a similar problem...  I have "HP-Setup>46-M277 Laserjet" showing up in the list of available networks, also unsecured. I have turned off Wifi Direct on the printer, and the printer is connected wirelessly via the router and working ok (Network Wifi On).

How do I remove this from the list? Can it be secured if it is not possible to remove it? 

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

If you have disabled Wireless Direct you are fine.

HP Recommended

Well, Provost, thanks for the reply but your answer didn't really provide a solution to the problem I indicated so I should really take back that kudos+ I hastily gave you...  rookie error.

Anyway, I did some more digging on google and managed to find the solution...  ironically provided by a 'non-expert'....  so if anyone seems to be having the same problem, have a look here: 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-Connected-Mobile-Printing-and-Cloud-Printing/Can-t-Turn-Off-SSID-Br...

Hang your heads in shame, so-called experts!

HP Recommended

I'm glad that disabling Wireless Direct which turns off the printers SSID worked for you.

HP Recommended

Hi Provost!

Thanks again for replying!

I have to respectfully mention again that your suggestion to disable WiFi Direct DID NOT have the desired effect of turning off my printer's SSID broadcast.

In fact, what worked for me were the instructions that user MaxPower gave in the link I provided. 

I respectfully suggest that you have a look at the link and the solution given therein.

HP Recommended

Maybe I should have been clearer.  My HP Envy 5661 printer works fine with all of my devices.  I have no issue with my printer. 

My question is that n my wireless connection option my printer/router appears as "Direct-75-HP Envy 5660 series. I would love to connect with this option because it has four bars instead of my current two with my other options.

The issue is when I try to connect i am asked for a network security key or a pin from the router label.  I have tried the IP address, and the product number, but neither of these work. Can you direct me towards how to utilize this function and  what I would put in for the network security key or pin from the router label?  

Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.