Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: HP OfficeJet J4580 All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

This is an old hand-me-down printer, from my Mom, no less.  It used to be connected via USB cable.  That's no longer an option, so I want to connect it via WiFi, but I don't know how.  As far as I know, there's no technical problem, just operator lack of knowledge, which I'm trying to rectify, with your help.  HP has said that the printer is out of warranty, so they won't help.  Hmm.  At least, not for free.  Can anyone help me, please?  Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

What is your exact printer model?

If it is the HP Officejet J4580 model as you listed as an example, the specific model is a USB only printer and does not offer any wired or wireless network capabilities.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi BlessedbyGod,   I'm not familiar with your model printer, but maybe I can offer some suggestions that will help.  You say that it is an old printer; are you sure that it is WiFi enabled? Does your printer have a touch-screen or some way that you can communicate with it directly?  My printer is a 10-year-old HP Photosmart Plus B210a, which is WiFi enabled.  To connect it to my WiFi network, I use the Wireless Setup Wizard which is embedded within my printer.  I access the Wireless Setup Wizard via the touch-screen on the front of my printer.  When I run the Wizard, it prompts me to enter the Wireless Network name that I want to join, and then prompts for the network password.  When i enter these, the Wizard connects to my WiFi network and then automatically prints out a network connection summary, which includes the local IP address that has been assigned to my printer (the router will assign a local IP address automatically).  Once your printer is connected to your WiFi network, you can then use the HP SMART app to add your printer - the HP SMART app should be able to locate your printer on the WiFi network when you choose the Add Printer function (but only if your computer and your printer are connected to the same WiFi network).  Knowing the local IP address of the printer may enhance your chances of the HP SMART app locating the printer.  Sometimes HP SMART can't readily locate the printer on the WiFi network but, if it can't do so, it offers an opportunity to specify the printer IP address and this usually works.  I hope this may help.  Good luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.