Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8720
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have an unusual situation I need to deal with.   I am a professional helpdesk analyst so my experience is pretty advanced.  I have no Internet except for through my hotspot on my iPhone. Long story why won’t bore you with it. My printer says the Hotspot but it will not connect to it.   I have been able to extrapolate all the IP configuration information needed to connect it manually and have entered all that information but it still refuses to connect wirelessly. Interesting thing to note about this is my Samsung 50 inch smart TV is able to connect up successfully to my hotspot and I am able to use my unlimited data plan to watch YouTube. I did have to enter The IP configuration manually just like I was trying to do on my printer. Now that all that information has been entered into my TV it works perfectly and automatically reconnect itself when I turn the TV back on. I do not understand why a super expensive and complicated smart TV can’t connect successfully and function but a for less expensive and less complicated printer cannot.

I need to connect desperately because  I am out of ink and I need my printer to get a signal through the Internet to trip off my ink subscription. I have a high-yield black ink cartridge in there but I am 100% out of all of the three colors and even though I tell the printer through the software to print only in black-and-white the physical printers software refuses to except the command to print only in black-and-white because it sees the three color cartridges as fully empty. I have additionally tried to operate the printer by removing the three color cartridges leaving them out I’m leaving only the black one in but it still refuses to print black-and-white only. 

I have one last option for connectivity but I have never tried this before and would like to know from the community if this will work. I have my windows 10 laptop which has an ethernet cable port and I have in the past manually connected my laptop to the printer to print from my laptop to the printer but my question is since my laptop gets the Internet if I have the ethernet cable connected to my laptop will the printer be able to sense the Internet connectivity through the laptop and share it ?   if it cannot automatically Scherret is there a way I can configure my laptop to either through the ethernet cable share the connection or configure my laptop to share the wireless connection it is getting from my hotspot so that I can share it to my printer? 

Thank you for all the help in advance I truly appreciate it. Last question is if anybody has the ink subscription is there a way I can call in advise them I have a subscription and explain I don’t have Internet to  thank you for all the help in advance I truly appreciate it. Last question is if anybody has the Inc subscription is there a way I can call in advice am I have a subscription and explain I don’t have Internet to  trigger the order? If it can be called in manually does anybody know the phone number?

Sincerely,

Wonder Woman 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Wonder-Woman,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Mobile hotspot does not have much bandwidth to support printer communication, So it is not recommended to connect your printer using the mobile hotspot.

You can use Instant Ink program by connecting the printer to a hot spot for few days. Such a system should work, however HP can not guarantee the printer will be able to connect to a hot spot or web services.

If you do decide to try Instant Ink via hotspot and continue the service please remember to sign into your Instant Ink account at  HPInstantInk.com and update your shipping address so the cartridges go to the correct address.  

As a test you can enable web services on your printer through the hot spot. Once done, try sending a printer to the printer's ePrint address. If the printer can print a document that is emailed, you should be able to setup and use Instant Ink.

Refer this article to know more information about instant ink FAQ's. Click Here

Next thing, regarding the Ethernet connection - After going through the User guide of this printer, I see there is an Ethernet port available on the back of the printer. 

So you can connect the Ethernet cable from the router directly to the back of the printer(Ethernet port).

Once connected, you should be able to access your Instant ink account. 

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. 

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.