Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 6500A Plus e710n-z
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have used the ePrint capability via HPConnect with my HP 6500A Plus e710n-z for a several years.  Yesterday the paper pickup wheel drive gear on my printer broke.  Today I purchased a used identical printer -- all but the broken gear of course :).  It sets up fine, connects via wifi to my home network and prints great.  However, I cannot enable web services.  After checking for, and finding no, updates, it then attempts to register with ePrint but after a delay it says it can't connect to the server and offers to let me configure a proxy which I don't have.   ePrint is not showing up on the touch screen panel's setup menu either.

On the HPConnect site I can see my old printer -- or at least the email address for it -- but see no place to update any details or, for that matter, remove it.  I tried adding the new printer but I don't have a claim code and can't get one since it won't enable web services.  Its clearly trying to connect to the old printer since I can toggle the ready status by turning the old printer on and off.

From a process point of view this looks to be the same thing as getting a replacement printer while under warranty so one would think there must be a way to do it.

Can anyone tell me how to get my ePrint working again with the replacement printer?

Thanks in advance,

Howard

Redmond, WA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Howard.

Install the latest firmware below, then try accessing web services and check for any difference:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/oj6500/OJ6500_E710n-z_R1621A.exe

Please let me know of any problem,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi Howard.

Install the latest firmware below, then try accessing web services and check for any difference:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/oj6500/OJ6500_E710n-z_R1621A.exe

Please let me know of any problem,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi and thanks for your help.  I tried to update with this firmware as well as with the older 1206 version.  I tried it with the wireless connection and also connected via USB.  In all cases it finds the printer, describes it correctly, but says the update is not applicable and won't let me select it.

The printer specifics follow:

Model name: HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z

Model Number: E710n

Product Number: CN558A

Service ID: 21276

Printer Zone (PX): 1

Firmware Version: CIP1FN110AR

FW Patch Version: 0

Note:  I've tried disabling my firewall but that made no difference.  Also, I tried the DNS settings of 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 that someone suggested for a similar sounding problem but it made no difference.

More help would be appreciated.

HP Recommended

Btw, I think you're on to something regarding the firmware.  Its clear that my printer is still on the original firmware.  Yet the update utility, though it finds and correctly describes the printer, shows it greyed out with a "not applicable" status.  When I run the update utility it shows that it is checking and then comes back with no updates required.

Its like there is a security or ownership issue but not sure where that little supposition takes me...

HP Recommended

I never could get the UI to update the firmware but ran across a post that explained how to manually copy the firmware to the printer.  That worked and I am now registered and setup to ePrint. 

I couldn't find any way to change the info so that it would just start using the new printer -- I ended up with two printers and two different email addresses.

I'm looking around now for a way to remove the original printer.

Thanks for your help -- you were right with your first post. 🙂

Howard

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.