Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8610
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Hey guys,

*Disclaimer* I've done all the reading about similar new router issues and still can't get the printer to connect after multiple trouble shoots. 

Problem: Time Warner Spectrum kicked me from a legacy internet plan to a new one, which required a new router. Old router was a rental from them, but the new one I plugged up is one of my own, but the same type/model router I was previously using: (Motorola Surfboard Extreme 2n1 Modeom/Router). Since hooking up the different router, I can't get the printer to find my network although it's finding everyone else's fine. Took it to a freinds house and it worked magic instantly. 

I've Tried: (1) reseting printer, (2) restoring network defaults on printer, (3) WPS connect by push button on router, (4) WPS connect through PIN entry, (5) downloaded HP Easy Start for driver update but that won't even locate a device so I'm unable to proceed... needless to say bu I'm still struggling to find a cure!

Internet provider is unable to offer help on router settings, but mentioned I needed to locate the printer port number then set that up within router settings. Can't seem to lovate the printer port number, but would love any help doing that OR solving through any other methods.. 

S.O.S. -  Cheers & MANY thanks for any help !! 

- little ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Replacing/reconnecting/changing your wireless router, try here.  

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/wireless-printing-center/reconfiguring-system-help3.html

* Reset your printer back to Network Defaults.  Then run the Wireless Setup Wizard to connect.  Both can be accessed from the front panel or computer.  If no front panel for configuration, you must use your Printer USB cable to connect.  You can also try the WPS method if your router/printer supports this only if the Wizard or Printer USB cable is not available.  Read your User Guide for info.
* Set router to a fixed wireless channel like 1, 6 or 11, never ‘auto’.  Try channel 1 first then the others one at a time.  
* Make sure printer and router are at least 5 feet apart.  
* The router must have the 2.4G SSID band enabled with a different name than your 5.0G SSID band in your router.  
* Make sure IPv6 is disabled in the printer.

Make and model of modem and router?

However if you have a Gateway (modem+router) device, all Gateway devices are terrible for wireless connectivity.   If this does not work, suggest you think about putting that gateway device in full bridge mode and install your own high quality router that YOU have full control over.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Replacing/reconnecting/changing your wireless router, try here.  

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/wireless-printing-center/reconfiguring-system-help3.html

* Reset your printer back to Network Defaults.  Then run the Wireless Setup Wizard to connect.  Both can be accessed from the front panel or computer.  If no front panel for configuration, you must use your Printer USB cable to connect.  You can also try the WPS method if your router/printer supports this only if the Wizard or Printer USB cable is not available.  Read your User Guide for info.
* Set router to a fixed wireless channel like 1, 6 or 11, never ‘auto’.  Try channel 1 first then the others one at a time.  
* Make sure printer and router are at least 5 feet apart.  
* The router must have the 2.4G SSID band enabled with a different name than your 5.0G SSID band in your router.  
* Make sure IPv6 is disabled in the printer.

Make and model of modem and router?

However if you have a Gateway (modem+router) device, all Gateway devices are terrible for wireless connectivity.   If this does not work, suggest you think about putting that gateway device in full bridge mode and install your own high quality router that YOU have full control over.

HP Recommended

Awesome, many thanks for the help. Changing the channel worked - more specifically, switching from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz so that I could choose channel 1 (instead of 36) made the printer start to recognize network SSID again. 

On that note (pushing my luck?) is there a way to still use 5Ghz and connect with printer? If I setup primary network with 5Ghz and the guest network on 2.4Ghz the printer didn't seem to recognize either. 

HP Recommended

Wireless printers only work on the 2.4G band.   Computers on the 2.4 or 5.0 band will print just fine with the printer on the 2.4G band.

HP Recommended

You are terrific.  I have a new router. Printer and chromecast did not work even after 2 calls to comcast (not interest because it is not rented from them) and call to chromecast which said transfer to espert-which wound up being comcast.

The did say to let the router select channel be on auto. I just changed it to 6.  The printer printed and chromecast  and my VOIP now all work. Also moved it from 2 feet away to 5 feet awat.  Thank you very much.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.