Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 200 Mobile
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have an OfficeJet 200 Mobile used for mobile printing only, connected to a Lenovo  laptop computer via a wifi hot spot while traveling.  It has worked just fine for quite some time, although admittedly it is not used frequently.

On the trip that I am currently on it will not print from the computer.  It will print from my phone, or if I use the HP email/eprint solution.  This latter has been my fall back position to print what I need to print on this trip..

I have tried to reinstall drivers, and have used the HP Print & Scan doctor to try and correct the problem.  It sees the printer, apparently connects to it, downloads and appears to install the drivers.  The printer shows up in Windows 10 Printers and Scanners, but with the note that the driver is not installed.

I have searched on the forum, but when I run into some posts with links that appear useful those links cannot be accessed because of DNS problems, presumably at HP knowledge base. (I can surf widely from this device, so I suspect that my DNS issues are OK.)

I do not have the USB cable with me on this trip, so the solution that is suggested by the desktop "HP OfficeJet 200 Mobile Series" application is not useful.  The network printing option available in that app does not appear to work, or if it does it requires the cable at some point.

Does anybody have any ideas beyond waiting to return home and using the USB cable?  (I hope I can find it!)

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for the welcome, and thank you for attempting to find and present a solution.  Unfortunately, attempting to install the printer using the method suggested did not work, as Windows did not find the printer.  If I attempted to manually add the printer using the IP address as specified in the IPv4 section of a printer report generated by the printer, an error was returned after the printer was found, driver recognized.  The handle was not valid..

And also, I am compelled to add that while your attempt to find a solution is much appreciated, the recommended approach is sub-optimal at best.  Having to disconnect from the web to print, and then re-connect afterwards, is far from convenient. I will wait until I return and hopefully find the USB cable.  I'll probably just with it in the future as it is obvious that this is a tempermental device, and too frequent Windows updates probably get in the way of maintaining functional connectivity via wireless.

Thank you again; please consider this closed as I do not have any more time to waste on this lost cause.. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@DJMangen, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Connecting the printer to the PC using the Hotspot connection is not recommended and may not work. You may connect these two devices via Wifi-Direct if you do not have access to a wireless router or a USB cable.

Note: While using Wifi-Direct, you will not be able to access the internet on the device connected to the printer.

Refer to this document to know how to connect the printer using Wifi-Direct

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the welcome, and thank you for attempting to find and present a solution.  Unfortunately, attempting to install the printer using the method suggested did not work, as Windows did not find the printer.  If I attempted to manually add the printer using the IP address as specified in the IPv4 section of a printer report generated by the printer, an error was returned after the printer was found, driver recognized.  The handle was not valid..

And also, I am compelled to add that while your attempt to find a solution is much appreciated, the recommended approach is sub-optimal at best.  Having to disconnect from the web to print, and then re-connect afterwards, is far from convenient. I will wait until I return and hopefully find the USB cable.  I'll probably just with it in the future as it is obvious that this is a tempermental device, and too frequent Windows updates probably get in the way of maintaining functional connectivity via wireless.

Thank you again; please consider this closed as I do not have any more time to waste on this lost cause.. 

HP Recommended

@DJMangen

Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.