Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 5 (129 Views)

OfficeJet Pro 8600 gets power to the printer, but error msg says it's not connected.

[ Edited ]
Product Name: Officejet Pro 8600 Model: CM74
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I ran a Norton security scan and turned-off the computer. In the morning I turned the system back on and noticed the printer was not working, but the power light was on.  

I rebooted several times and unpluged and replugged the power cable to the printer, but it still acts as if it's not connected to a power source.  The power button light is on but the button is unresponsive.

Can anyone help? 

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 5 (89 Views)

Re: OfficeJet Pro 8600 gets power to the printer, but error msg says it's not connected.

[ Edited ]

Hi @TDATX,

Welcome to the HP community.  A Good day to you. Smiley Happy I read the post regarding the printer being unresponsive. I will be delighted to assist you here.

Superb description and very smart diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. Smiley Happy You are an important HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. I also take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. Smiley Happy

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Do you get a display on the printer control panel?
  • Do you get any error messages on the computer?
  • Please provide the complete model# of the printer to assist you better.
  • Is it a wired, wireless or USB connection?

For starters please perform a  hard reset on the printer from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Officejet-Pro-8600-e-All-in-One-Printer-series---N9/4322914/m...  Please perform all the steps in step 1 from the link and check again if the printer connects and works. Please keep me posted.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Smiley Happy  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 3 of 5 (72 Views)

Re: OfficeJet Pro 8600 gets power to the printer, but error msg says it's not connected.

Hi David,

-I followed your instructions as best I could, but without success. Turn on the printer. (Done)

-Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue. (The printer is not idle or silent because it is not turning on.) -Disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the printer. If your printer has a network or wireless connection, leave it connected. Remove the ink cartridges from the printer. (Not possible as the printer does not turn-on, only the power light comes on, and therefore I am unable to access the cartridges).  

-With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and from the wall outlet or power strip. (Done)

-Wait at least 60 seconds. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet. (Done)

-Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer. (Done)

-Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on. The printer might go through a warm-up period. (Not turning on.) -The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move. (Nope)  Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed. Reinsert the ink cartridges, and then close the ink cartridge access door. If you receive a prompt to print a calibration page, do so. If you disconnected the USB cable, reconnect it to the rear of the printer. Try to print.

-If the issue persists, continue to the next step. (You mean buy a new printer because of a software issue?)

Honor Student
Message 4 of 5 (65 Views)

Please also note the power light comes on, but the panel display does not.  Nothing, but the power button light comes on.

HP Support Agent
Message 5 of 5 (62 Views)

Hi @TDATX,

I read the post and reviewed it. Thanks for replying. Great job trying these steps. It certainly looks like a hardware issue with the printer a the control panel is not lit. The printer does not make copies on its own also as the control panel is not lit which means that there is no display.

I request you to contact HP phone support to get the printer replaced or upgraded.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

Trust me I've done everything here to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. Smiley Happy You've  been absolutely superb to work with, by displaying great technical skills. Smiley Happy I thank you again for your time. It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

You take care now, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation