Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Officejet Pro 8600 and newer not able to connect to web services

OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have 3-4 of these printers on my network. some are connected via USB, but most are connected via ethernet. They all work on the local network, and i can print to any of them easily. Some use Static IP, other use DHCP.

the one thing they all have in common is, none of them are able to connect to the internet, so i canot use apps, or get firmware updates. I figured this was a firewall issue, so i replaced the firewall, but still no luck.

as far as i can tell, there has to be a blocked port, but according to my firewall supplier, everything inside the network is allowed out no matter what.  I have varified the network settings of all of the printers, and everything is correct. 

What am i missing? They used to work fine. but in the last year or so, they all stopped connecting to the internet. i cant even use web services to print documents while i am on the road.

4 REPLIES 4
Retired
Retired
3446 3284 244 415
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @dlshow101. 

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. I understand that your printers are unable to connect to Web Services. I would like to help. 

One thing I found quirky about the 8600 series is that if the date and time are not correct, the printer will not connect to Web Services. Its a relatively simple thing, but it could be whats causing the issue.  

If the date and time are correct, have you tried setting an manual DNS in the printer? I have had the most luck with the Google DNS Address. 

Primary: 8.8.8.8

Secondary 8.8.4.4

You also mentioned that "everything inside the network is allowed out no matter what". Groovy, but what about in? 

The ports used for Web Services are the following:

UDP (incoming)Ports:  

TCP (outgoing)Ports:  

If you have any questions, or this does not resolve the issue, let me know.
If this resolves your issue, please click Accepted Solution. This will allow other people with the same issue to find the solution easily. If you wish to say thanks, feel free to click Kudos.  

Aardvark1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
dlshow101 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Time is one of the first things i looked at. i know some devices have that problem, so i synced the time to my PC. so that much i know works properly.

as far as DNS. our network requires web traffic to go through our domain controller. so that IP is the primary. our secondary is always 4.2.2.2 which is similar to googls 8.8.8.8 in overall function.

just for laughts, i changed the primary and secondary DNS to your settings just in the off chance that it was some how tied to the DNS settings... didnt change anything.

I cannot open inbound traffic for port 80 and 443. our network gets scanned continually by a PCI compliance company... so inbound traffic on those 2 ports is not going to happen. i know outbound traffic on those ports is working fine. but considering those 2 ports are for web traffic access, would really need to open them ?

i will double check the settings for TCP 5222 and 5223. that is the only thing i can think of that makes sense. let me mess with it and i will get back to you.

0 Kudos
dlshow101 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i should also mention that i disabled IPv6 as part of my troubleshooting. we are not setup for IPv6 here and in my experience, computers on our network that are searching for an IPv6 address do not work properly on our network, so disabling this service usually helps. 

0 Kudos
dlshow101 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried creating inbound and outboound rules in our firewall. we are using Cisco Meraki, which makes it pretty easy.

even though our outbound rules are set to  Any protocal from any internal sounce, from any source port may access any destination port, adding roles for TCP 5222-5223 didnt help.

Meraki wont allow inbound rules, but i can set rules for port forwarding, so for testing purposes  i setup a port forward from any external IP address on port 80 and 443 UDP to go straight to my printers local IP address.

since it is meraki, the settings take about 2-3 min to actually hit the firewall. so i waited and tested repeatedly. still not connecting.

I know the printers are capable of connecting. i have the same model at home, on a consumer grade Motorola Surfboard modem/firewall, and it works fine. 

I also used my cell phone as a wireless hotspot, connected my office machine to that, and i was able to connect to web services just fine, so i know the printer is working properly, just cant figure out why it cant get past our firewall. i will contact meraki as well and see if they have any ideas on why this would be blocked. the only thing i can think of is, uPNP is usually not turned on, or even available on commercial firewalls.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation