Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet pro 8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The control panel is almost impossible to read.  It is very bright and washed out - the words are not visible.  The background was previously black but now it is white and words are blurry.  The printer works just fine, but the control panel is nearly unable to be used.  The warranty has expired.  I have unplugged power source from printer and then from wall.  Waited 1 minute and plugged it back in.  I can't see the settings preferences to change the brightness.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Alison20

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the  "Display issue" issue. 

Try the steps below to resolve the issue -

NOTE: 

Before you try the following solutions, disconnect the USB cable and Ethernet cable from the back of the printer. Make sure that there are no memory cards or thumb drives in the printer.

Solution one: Turn the printer off and then on again

Follow these steps to restart the printer.

1. Press the Power button to turn off the printer.

2. Wait 60 seconds, and then press the Power button to turn on the printer.

Solution two: Plug the printer directly into a wall outlet

Make sure that the printer is properly connected to a suitable power source.

1. Press the Power button to turn off the printer.

2. Disconnect the printer's power cord from any power strips or surge suppressors and then plug it directly into a grounded wall outlet.

3. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, and then try to use the menu to check if the printer control panel is functional.

Solution three: Reset the printer

Follow the steps below to reset the printer.

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

2. Unplug the power cord from the power source.

3. Wait 60 seconds.

4. Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer.

NOTE: 

HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

Adjust the screen brightness to a dimmer setting. To configure this feature, touch (eco button) on the printer's control panel display, touch Screen Brightness, and then set the desired option. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.