Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I just replaced my Officejet Pro 8500 with a 8600.  I NEED to print on card stock that is 4.88" x 8.25".  How do I get the printer to accept that size paper?  I am using Word 2010 and have set the paper size within Word but the printer says the paper size does not match.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The solution by user "Kicktires" in this thread:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Networking-and-Wireless/How-to-print-on-custom-size-paper-with-...

worked for me on my Win7 system and allowed me to define custom paper sizes for my Officejet Pro 8600 Plus.  Good luck!

-Don

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hi Nunzio, I  too had to say goodby to my 8500 (reluctantly) I am haviing a similar problem functioning glossy photo paper. HP sais they are aware of the problem and will have a ROM fix available within 2 weeks. Otherwise I love this 8600. Billy

HP Recommended

Thanks Billy

I hope they solve our problem.  Look forward to the update. 

Nunzio

HP Recommended

Hello, 

Have you heard any updates on this from HP? I specifically bought this printer for its ability to print custom page sizes as small as 3 x 5. I've just completed all the install and setup to find out it's not working. Very disappointing - thinking I'll be returning this printer tomorrow if I can't find a solution. I need to print out about 100 cards and envelopes in addition to other projects for my wedding and it has to be done this week....

Thank you.

HP Recommended

I have not seen an update.  I did find a size that worked though trial and error.  Needed 4.75" X 8..25"  used Envelope DL setting. 

Hope this helps.

Nunzio

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue (and numerous other issues).  Did anyone find a fix for custom page printing?

HP Recommended
I found a solution... Return the printer. The whole printer never worked right. I ended up having to buy another printer to do the custom sizes. Big hassle. If its a known issue they shouldnt list it as a feature.
HP Recommended

I just got a Officejet Pro 8600.  So far it has been a great printer/scanner/fax.  There is one big problem, and that is it will not let you print on any size paper.  They need to put in an option to turn off the checking of paper size.  They have done this on other perinters.  As the user we should be able to print on any size paper that we want.  The ARGUMENT THAT IT SAVES PAPER BY CHECKING THE SIZE IS GOOD FOR SOME USERS BUT NOT ALL USERS.  Please give us a way to disable the checking of paper size and quick.  I allready sen back an Epson because it did not do what I wanted.

HP Recommended

I am no pro, but after weeks of fighting with my printer to try to get it to recognize my paper (2 different sized notecards ), and trying HP tech support services with no luck, I finally figured this out, and it worked for me - hopefully it works for others...

In order to print on a custom sized paper that is not in the paper size choices on an HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus, I found it was necessary to do the following so that the Printer can recognize the paper:

1.  Under FILE, go to "Page Setup" and click on Layout tab.

2. Highlight CUSTOM  under Publication type and put in the size of your paper. Press OK.

3. Create your card or document. Put in pictures or whatever.

4. When finished, save your document, then click FILE, then PRINT.

5. Make sure the printer you want to use is listed under NAME.  On mine, I have a choice of K8600 Network or K8600 Series.  This process I found works on the SERIES choice, but not the network one. Click on PROPERTIES.

6.  Click on the FEATURES  tab at the top.

7. Halfway down on the left it says "Resizing Options" and a dropdown menu under "size".  Go down the dropdown menu by clicking on the  arrow, then highlight CUSTOM.

8.  On the Custom Paper Size page, put in the width and length of your paper.  Then where you see the word "Custom" under Name,  change the word Custom to the name you want to give your paper - such as "small note card" or whatever.  Click SAVE and OK.  THIS IS IMPORTANT. IT DID NOT WORK UNTIL I RENAMED IT. (It took 3 weeks to discover it!)

9.  Back on the Features page, click on Size again. Go down the dropdown menu till you get to "MORE". Click on MORE, then scroll down till you get to the name you just gave it. (Mine showed up at the bottom, under "Custom". )  Highlight the one you named, and click on OK.  This brings you back to the Features page, where you should see your newly named paper under "size".

10. Select your paper type, print quality, etc. Then press ok.

11.  Now you are back to the original print page. Click on "Properties" again. Select the "Advanced" Tab at the top.  Under printer features, I clicked on Minimize Margins and selected ON.    (This step might be unnecessary for some projects, but before I did this setting, the printer cut off the bottom part of the photo I was trying to print on a note card.  This solved the problem.

12. Now you are back on the original print page. Select page numbers, number of copies, etc, and click ok. 

13.  Hopefully, the printer will now recognize the paper, and print correctly.

HP Recommended

I'm trying to print a picture resized to 4.5x6.5 on 4.5x6.5 stock. It will only let me select 4x6 and offsets it to the corner. Why can't I select 4.5x6.5 media from a Windows machine, or at least center it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.