Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Photosmart 6520
macOS 10.12 Sierra

My printer simply doesn't print.   All the ink cartridges are new; it won't copy; it gets messages from my laptop and churns and makes printer noises, but there's no ink on the paper when it comes out.   I've cleaned the black ink's entry point with an alcohol wipe, and can get ink from the cartridge.   Why won't it print?

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hi @KathrynDay

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the printer is printing blank pages.

Don’t worry, we will work together to resolve this issue and It’s a pleasure to assist you in this regard.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

·         When was the last time the printer was working fine?

·         Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?

·         Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Meanwhile, follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2pyys5K

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the email.

I have tried everything in the online list.   I have ALL new HP cartridges, and the printer acknowledges them.  The paper is correct.  I used the tools to Clean Printhead and Align Cartridges; both printed the colors correctly but the Print Quality Diagnostics left the black one blank.  I have cleaned the black input area with alcohol, and let it dry.   No change.  Any ideas?

HP Recommended

Hi @KathrynDay

Follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2pyys5K

NOTE: Ignore the steps you have already performed.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, but you keep repeating the same instructions over and over.

I have tried each one.

They do NOT work.

Telling me to do it all again does NOT solve the problem.   I do not want to repeat what I've done, step by step, but having spent the money for 5 new cartridges, I am irritated that there doesn't seem to be an explanation for why the black cartridge does not print.

This is not the first time this has happened to me, and to others.  Apparently HP has an issue with this black cartridge.  Has anyone come up with a solution?

HP Recommended

To repeat - the article, cited, is the same article I have been following now for over 2 weeks.   Please reply if you have something NEW.

HP Recommended

Hi @KathrynDay,

I reviewed the previous posts and I'd like to help. I'll need a little more information in order to help you:

- What happened when you printed the Print Quality Diagnostic page from the control panel? Did you get another blank page or did nothing happen at all?

- How long has the printer been printing blank pages? Was it before or after you installed the new ink cartridges?

Cloud Queen
I am an HP employee. I work on behalf of HP.

Click the thumbs up + button if I have helped you.

Mark Accepted Solution if your problem is solved.
HP Recommended

Print Quality pages have no black.   Both before new black cartridge and after.

Color cartridges are fine.

Blank black has been happening for 2 weeks, before I installed all new cartridges, and after all new cartridges.  Does that help diagnose this?

HP Recommended

Hi @KathrynDay,

Go to the thread HP Photosmart 6520 won't print black, then scroll down for a possible solution.

Let me know if that helps!

Cloud Queen
I am an HP employee. I work on behalf of HP.

Click the thumbs up + button if I have helped you.

Mark Accepted Solution if your problem is solved.
HP Recommended

Photosmart 6520 won't print. It's connected and has all new ink cartridges.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.