Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 4650
macOS 10.15 Catalina

The printer is set up as AirPrint printer (from what I could gather in the forums, this is the appropriate way to set this printer up). I can print exactly one document (from any application). Afterwards, the printer is shown as "online" in the Print & Scanners options but when I actually try to print, no printer can be found. The only way to print again is to reset. Then I can print exactly one document again before I have to reset and re-install the printer.

This is a new phenomenon as of maybe a couple of months ago? I didn't used to have any issues printing or scanning on macOS before.

macOS 10.15.3

I can print without any such problems from my Windows 10 laptop.

Any help would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@fboecker

Have you tried the HP Smart App and check if that helps?

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @fboecker

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the connectivity issue. 

I'd suggest you, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.  Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The printer is recognized in the Settings as Bonjour every time I set it up (and I've set it up with a static IP). I'm not familiar with Bonjour. What port does it run on? (Not that anything is blocked on the LAN, everything is wide open). How does Bonjour lose connection with the printer once a document has completed printing? Shouldn't it be able to reconnect to a printer automagically?

HP Recommended

@fboecker

Thanks for replying!

• Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz?
  • What is the distance between the router and the printer?
  • Is there any antivirus software installed on your computer?
  • Could you perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results?

Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by selecting the wireless icon on the printer display.

The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold option-click the WiFi icon and then use shift-command-5 to take the screenshot. Press the space bar when the icon turns into a camera. Share the ping test results and the screenshot with us.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
  • router is b/g/n enabled
  • printer and router are sitting next to each other
  • no anti-virus software
  • ping results:

Ping has started…

PING 192.168.0.16 (192.168.0.16): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.0.16: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=130.815 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.16: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=52.071 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.16: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=51.325 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.16: icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=102.191 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.16: icmp_seq=4 ttl=255 time=4.195 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.16: icmp_seq=5 ttl=255 time=44.664 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.16: icmp_seq=6 ttl=255 time=90.857 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.16: icmp_seq=7 ttl=255 time=54.138 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.16: icmp_seq=8 ttl=255 time=52.830 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.16: icmp_seq=9 ttl=255 time=86.182 ms

--- 192.168.0.16 ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 4.195/66.927/130.815/33.950 ms

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 09.34.44.png

HP Recommended

@fboecker

Thanks for replying!

Try to remove and add the printer using AirPrint drivers-

ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with its software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

Remove and add the printer

Click the Apple menu, and then select System Preferences.

Depending on your operating system version, click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.

Click the name of your printer, click the Minus sign, and then delete the printer.

Select printer and click the minus sign

Click the Plus sign, and then click Add Printer or Scanner.

Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select AirPrint

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

Click Add to add the printer to the list.

Try to print.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This is exactly what I have to do (or alternatively, reset the printing system) after every document I print if I want to print more.

HP Recommended

@fboecker

The Mac is connected to 5 GHz and the printer is connected to 2.4 GHz. The printer and Mac should be connected to the same network (2.4 GHz). 

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So on Windows it never matters whether it's 802.11 b or g (and before macOS 10.15 it didn't matter on my Macbook either).

Now that I forced everything onto 802.11b, however, I can't add the printer with AirPrint anymore. So confusing ....Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 18.14.23.png

HP Recommended

@fboecker

When you drop the "Use" Box with Generic PCL Printer, do you get the Option Airprint?

As mentioned by @asmita6658 both the printer and Mac should be connected to the same  2.4 GHz Network

you could also try settings up the printer using HP Smart App for Mac. Please refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06188214

Keep me posted 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.