Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro MFP M130fw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to reset the password on this printer.  I set one initially for the Direct-print option (or at least I think I did) and it's not working.  I would love to just start over, but everything I try to do now requires a password, and the one I set doesn't work.  How can I reset the printer so there's no password?  Oh, and I never saw the password that supposedly displays when you first install it, because I didn't know to look for one.  My bad!  I even tried reinstalling the printer and nothing is changed.

Help would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@CatLady001

In one of your previous posts, you have mentioned that you have a touchscreen printer. If now, I will send you the reset instructions for the printer which does not have a touchscreen.

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

@CatLady001,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. 

I Understand you need instructions on resetting the admin password,

And to help you out, I'm sending out a Private message with the reset instructions,

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

(The reason we are utilizing the private message is because the instructions are critical,

And we don't want it in the wrong hands, as the printer will be set back to factory defaults).

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet,

Thank you for responding, but your instructions won't work on my printer.  I have a touch screen display and don't have access to the buttons you are recommending.

Do you have another solution for me?

HP Recommended

@CatLady001,

Thank you for replying,

I'm glad you pointed out as I might have missed on it. Don't worry I'm going to send you the correct Instructions this time.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, Jeet!  That worked.  Now I need to do the same thing with my boss's printer (he has one just like this), and see if I can get his wife's computer connected to it.  That's my end goal in all of this.

Appreciate your time...thank you!  :generic:

HP Recommended

@CatLady001,

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad I could contribute towards resolving the issue and finding the solution you were looking for.
Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
And mark my public post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I cant remember the password i set my printer wifi with. I wish to reset the printer somehow to try and start again but dont know how to.  Any help with this would be appreciated. I just want to be able to set the printer up to the wifi somehow so i can print off my docs.

HP Recommended

I also need to reset my password for LaserJet MFP M130fw printer.  My connected laptop is an Apple MacBook Pro.

This has been a very frustrating experience.  Any help that you can give would be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

I realize that it has been over a year since you responded to this.  However, I never saw the notification.  My printer has been unable to connect wirelessly for all this time.  I simply forgot about it until someone else posted a "me too" and I got an email.

Bottom line, I just got and tried the instructions, but I don't have a touchscreen on my printer so they didn't work.  I have a bunch of buttons and a display screen only.  I would love to fix this, so if you can provide instructions for my printer, that would be awesome.  I have a Color LaserJet Pro MFP M180nw.  My printer model is in the description on my original post where it asked for the model and operating system.  Why would you provide instructions for a different model?  I'm confused.

I look forward to hearing from you again...thank you!

HP Recommended

Why is this marked resolved when I didn't mark it as such?  You may have provided someone else with the correct instructions, but I can't see them, so it's not resolved.

I just don't understand...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.