Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 8600
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

We changed our router and I am pretty sure that we were able to connect to the new router.  The router is a new Time Warner router.  In the past, the printer recognized the router password and was able to connect to it.  At some point we lost connection and have not been able to reconnect.  We have tried turrning off the printer, router and computer. I've also been on the phone with Time warner for hours trying to figure out why we do not have connectivity.  I even changed the password and it still says that it is an invalid password.  All other devices connect properly.  Please help.  Extremely frustrated.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Community @jszach,

I understand you are experiencing some connection issues with your HP Officejet Pro 8600. I will be happy to help.

Below, I have posted a link to a document that offers some troubleshooting solutions to this issue. Please try out all of the steps, in order and get back to me with the results. 

HP Officejet Pro 251dw, 276dw, and 8600 Printer Series - Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connecti...

If this helps, show appreciation for my reply by hitting the “thumbs up” below, or click the "Accept as Solution" button if I have helped you reach a solution.

I hope this helps, and have a great day.

MarcelusWallace

I work on behalf of HP

★Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
★Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say "Thanks" for helping!

HP Recommended

I've gone through all of the steps from the link without any success.  The printer is successful in finding the router, it just will not communicate with it because it says that I have entered an invalid password.  (which is not the case as I have very carefully checked the spelling of the password, changed passwords to  a much simpler password and had my husband enter in the passworde)

Unfortunately, I am unable to get access to your support link as it no longer works.

Thank you in advance for your support in this manner

HP Recommended

Hi @jszach,

Thank you for trying out those steps and getting back to me.

Here is another document that offers some information about connecting your HP Officejet Pro 8600 to a wireless network. Please try out the steps, and get back to me with the results.

HP Officejet Pro 251dw, 276dw, 8600 Printers - Wireless Printer Setup (Windows)

If you are still experiencing connection issues after trying the steps in the document above, I recommend you contact HP for further support.

Contact HP:
Step 1. Open link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number
Case number and phone number appear

If this helps, show appreciation for my reply by hitting the “thumbs up” below, or click the "Accept as Solution" button if I have helped you reach a solution.

MarcelusWallace

I work on behalf of HP

★Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

Hi Marcelus -

I went through all of the steps for the solution and did not have success.  The main issue is that the printer sees my router, but after entering in the valid password to the router/modem, the printer claims that it is invalid.  We have been successful at entering this password on our other devices with success.  The printer used to connect to the same router with the same password.  Not sure when the printer stopped working/it's connection.  Spoke to the cable/internet company and they were unable to help.

Any thoughts?

Jacquie Szachara

PS.  Unfortunately we do not have pre-paid support since the printer was purchased in 2013 and has passed it's warrenty

HP Recommended

Hi @jszach,

That is very strange that your printer can find the network but cannot connect to it with your wireless password, which successfully connected other devices. At this point I have exhausted the troubleshooting steps I can provide, all I can suggest is contacting HP for further support.

Contact HP:
Step 1. Open link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number
Case number and phone number appear 

MarcelusWallace

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
@jszach wrote:

Hi Marcelus -

I went through all of the steps for the solution and did not have success.  The main issue is that the printer sees my router, but after entering in the valid password to the router/modem, the printer claims that it is invalid.  We have been successful at entering this password on our other devices with success.  The printer used to connect to the same router with the same password.  Not sure when the printer stopped working/it's connection.  Spoke to the cable/internet company and they were unable to help.

Any thoughts?

Jacquie Szachara

PS.  Unfortunately we do not have pre-paid support since the printer was purchased in 2013 and has passed it's warrenty

Try this.  Temporarily disable security in the router.  Now try to connect the printer to your unsecured SSID (no password).  Are you successful?  If yes go back and add WPA2-AES with a password and try again.  Status now?

HP Recommended

I've followed this thread and also have the same problem. I have tried all these things and nothing works. I am entering the correct passcode. I don't know what else to do. It's very frustrating.

HP Recommended

I have also had experienced this same problem. I recently updated my laptop so it kicked me out of my printer. But ever since then when I try to type in the default password, it says it isn't correct. I have a HP DeskJet 2652 printer.

Spoiler
HP DeskJet 2652
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.