Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6500A
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So until today, I printed documents by connecting my printer to my laptop via the USB cable. But, as my printer is compatible with ePrint software, I would prefer to print with that, as I can then print from my smartfone etc.

I followed the steps for using ePrint, but when I use the control panel on the printer to get to enable web services, it requires a proxy address. 

I am using a wi-fi connection on my laptop, but I am not the owner of the wi-fi.So how can I get the proxy address?

How can I connect my printer to web services so I can finally use the ePrint software?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Luané,

Welcome back to the HP Forums, I'd be happy to help you with your queries regarding your HP Officejet 6500A printer.

Please understand that the web services is a service which can be only used once the printer is connected to the wireless network. Web services help you enable features like HP ePrint, HP Instant ink etc.

HP ePrint: HP ePrint is a secure cloud-based service that lets you print from anywhere with an active Internet connection. Simply email the document or photo you want to print directly to the printer.You can learn more about HP ePrint from here:  http://hp.care/2cYTJo4

HP Instant ink: HP Instant Ink is an ink cartridge replacement service. Check more details here: http://hp.care/2fdpZQG

Even if your printer is web services enabled, you can print from your computer over the wireless network. You need to install the printer drivers on your computer for the smooth printing. You can download and install the drivers from here:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-officejet-6500a-e-all-in-one-printer-series-e710...

We can assign a static IP address and a manual DNS address to fix this problem. Please follow the below steps and check:

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  2. Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  3. Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  4. Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  5. Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Try restarting your printer and then try enabling web-services. This should fix the web services issue that you are facing.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Luané,

Welcome back to the HP Forums, I'd be happy to help you with your queries regarding your HP Officejet 6500A printer.

Please understand that the web services is a service which can be only used once the printer is connected to the wireless network. Web services help you enable features like HP ePrint, HP Instant ink etc.

HP ePrint: HP ePrint is a secure cloud-based service that lets you print from anywhere with an active Internet connection. Simply email the document or photo you want to print directly to the printer.You can learn more about HP ePrint from here:  http://hp.care/2cYTJo4

HP Instant ink: HP Instant Ink is an ink cartridge replacement service. Check more details here: http://hp.care/2fdpZQG

Even if your printer is web services enabled, you can print from your computer over the wireless network. You need to install the printer drivers on your computer for the smooth printing. You can download and install the drivers from here:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-officejet-6500a-e-all-in-one-printer-series-e710...

We can assign a static IP address and a manual DNS address to fix this problem. Please follow the below steps and check:

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  2. Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  3. Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  4. Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  5. Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Try restarting your printer and then try enabling web-services. This should fix the web services issue that you are facing.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thank you for the help,

The problem was that my printer can't connect to a wifi network, but can only connect through an ethernet cable.

So I'm back to using the USB cable to print because I don't have access to the wifi modem.

Thanks anyway 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi @Luané,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you have diagnosed the issue to be with the Wifi network. However, it seems to be working with Wired connection. 

If you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.