Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 2540
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

I replaced my wireless router yesterday, and now my printer is continually showing as offline.

Any tips to re-connect would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Replacing/reconnecting/changing your wireless router, try here. 

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/wireless-printing-center/reconfiguring-system-help3.html

* Reset your printer back to Network Defaults.  Then run the Wireless Setup Wizard to connect.  Both can be accessed from the front panel or computer.  If no front panel for configuration, you must use your Printer USB cable to connect.  You can also try the WPS method if your router/printer supports this only if the Wizard or Printer USB cable is not available.  Read your User Guide for info.

* Wireless printers only connect to the 2.4G band in your router.  The router must have the 2.4G SSID band enabled with a different SSID name than your 5.0G SSID band in your router.

* Set router to a fixed wireless channel like 1, 6 or 11, never ‘auto’.  Try channel 1 first then the others one at a time. 

* Make sure printer and router are at least 5 feet apart. 

* Make sure IPv6 is disabled in the printer.

Make and model of modem and router?

However if you have a Gateway (modem+router) device, all Gateway devices are terrible for wireless connectivity.   If it works, it works.  If it doesn’t… suggest you think about putting that gateway device in full bridge mode and install your own high quality router that YOU have full control over. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Replacing/reconnecting/changing your wireless router, try here. 

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/wireless-printing-center/reconfiguring-system-help3.html

* Reset your printer back to Network Defaults.  Then run the Wireless Setup Wizard to connect.  Both can be accessed from the front panel or computer.  If no front panel for configuration, you must use your Printer USB cable to connect.  You can also try the WPS method if your router/printer supports this only if the Wizard or Printer USB cable is not available.  Read your User Guide for info.

* Wireless printers only connect to the 2.4G band in your router.  The router must have the 2.4G SSID band enabled with a different SSID name than your 5.0G SSID band in your router.

* Set router to a fixed wireless channel like 1, 6 or 11, never ‘auto’.  Try channel 1 first then the others one at a time. 

* Make sure printer and router are at least 5 feet apart. 

* Make sure IPv6 is disabled in the printer.

Make and model of modem and router?

However if you have a Gateway (modem+router) device, all Gateway devices are terrible for wireless connectivity.   If it works, it works.  If it doesn’t… suggest you think about putting that gateway device in full bridge mode and install your own high quality router that YOU have full control over. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

You could try the below troubleshooting steps:

If you’re using Windows 10, it’s worth checking for the latest Microsoft update. There is an update to improve the discoverability of printers. This update can help prevent occurrences of your printer going offline, especially for wireless connections

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3147458

1. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.
  2. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor is open, click Start, and then choose your printer.
    • If your printer is not listed, turn it on and click Retry.
    • If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in the tool.
  3. Click Fix Printing.
  4. If the printer continues to go offline, continue to the next step.
Step 2: Set the default printer and unpause printing
The default print driver might have changed from the driver you installed to another driver, such as a Web Services for Devices (WSD) driver with a very similar name. Change the default print driver to your originally installed driver and confirm the printer is not set for offline use.
Video of checking the printer status in Devices and Printers

A status message of offline or printer offline displays on the computer, and the printer does not print.
  1. Turn the printer off and on, and then make sure it is in a ready state.
  2. Search Windows for devices, and then click Devices and Printers in the list of results.
  3. Find the icon for the printer you originally installed.
    A status message of offline or printer offline displays on the computer, and the printer does not print.
  4. Right-click the icon for the default printer, and then select See what's printing.
  5. Click Printer. If a checkmark displays next to Pause Printing and Use Printer Offline, click each item to remove the checkmark.
  6. Try to print.
Step 2: Reset the print environment
Resetting the printer can help restore a connection to the computer.
  1. Turn the printer off, wait about 10 seconds, and then disconnect the printer power cord from the printer.
  2. Turn off the computer or device that you are trying to print from.
  3. Connect the printer power cord to the printer, and then turn on the printer if it does not automatically power on.
  4. If your printer uses a wireless connection, restart the router:
    1. Disconnect the power cord from your wireless router. Internet service will be interrupted while the router is not in service.
    2. Wait 10 seconds, and then reconnect the power cord to the router.
    3. Wait for the router’s network activity light to light.
    4. Press the wireless button or wireless control panel icon on the printer to turn the wireless connection off, and then on.
    5. Wait for the printer to reconnect to your router.
  5. Turn on the computer.
  6. Try to print.
    1. If you can print, you are done.
    2. If the printer cannot print and remains offline, continue to the next step.
Step 3: Set the default printer
The default print driver might have changed from the driver you installed to another driver, such as a Web Services for Devices (WSD) driver with a very similar name. Change the default print driver to your originally installed driver and confirm the printer is not set for offline use.
  1. Search Windows for devices, and then click Devices and Printers from the list of results in Settings.
  2. Right-click the name of the HP printer that is active (not grayed out), and then select Set as Default Printer.
    Changing the gray icon to the color icon to be the default printer
  3. Try to print.
    • If you can print, you are done.

Help give a kudos if this works or help you in troubleshooting.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Did you check the default printer settings? I was going through hp printer is saying offline problem, just because I selected my old printer as a default printer.

so check for the default printer settings first. 

1. Click on the start button and go to control panel. 
  2. Click on devices and printers. 
  3. Now right click on your hp printer icon and click on set as default printer. 
  4. Finally, your printer will be set up as a default printer. 

Let's try to print now. 

Somehow, if your printer has been set up as a default printer but still it is showing hp printer is offline error message. this problem can be related to the communication problem. 

in this case, you need to power off your router, printer, and computer for one minute. 

Once your pc and printer will restart. you need to wait for 3 minutes. so they can detect each other in the network and then try to print. 

if it is still not printing. you need to go ahead and check the printer settings. 

HP Recommended

My Hp MFP M477 went "offline" even though I'm hard wired to a USP port.  I tried everything suggested by Hp and Windows 10 to get it back on line and nothing worked, including rebooting the printer.  Then I rebooted the computer (Dell desktop) and the printer was on line when the computer started up. 

HP Recommended

I have grappled with this problem for a while and couldn't follow all of the steps suggested. Sometimes the printer seemed to correct itself, but nothing seemed to be dependable with it. But what I read on some of the suggested fixes made me think that probably just disconnecting and then reconnecting the wireless before printing might work. So now every time I want to print I go to the wireless screen on my HP Envy - turn the wireless off and then turn it back on. Hit print and so far it has always worked.

HP Recommended

Hello HerbLin, I have the same HP MFP M477fdn, hardwired to network static ip. Initial connection works fine but after a few days printer goes offline and won't print. I would power off the printer turn it back on and it works, then again....I have removed drivers and reinstall drivers from HP. Sound like printer goes into energy saving mode and cannot get off. Anyone have any ideas, I will appreciate it.

HP Recommended

@Pacificwoods

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

You can refer the document from Page 105 onwards to turn the sleep mode/energy saving mode off: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04636804

If the issue persists, we can set a Manual IP address: From the Home screen on the printer control panel, touch the Network button or the Wireless button to display the IP address or host name. 2. Open a Web browser, and in the address line, type the IP address or host name exactly as it displays on the printer control panel. Press the Enter key on the computer keyboard. The EWS opens.

Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.

Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)

Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.

Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, 

Troubleshooting offline printer problems in Windows

Verify that your printer is not in Use Printer Offline mode

Select Start  > Settings  > Devices  > Printers & scanners . Then select your printer > Open print queue. Under Printer, make sure Use Printer Offline is not selected.

Remove and reinstall your printer to your device

Try removing and reinstalling your printer. 

Remove your printer:

1. Select Start  > Settings  > Devices  > Printers & scanners .

Open Printers & scanners settings

2. Select your printer, select Remove device, and then select Yes.

Reinstall your printer:

1. Select Start  > Settings  > Devices  > Printers & scanners .

Open Printers & scanners settings

2. Make sure your printer is turned on and connected. Select Add a printer or scanner and follow the instructions to reinstall your printer.

Printer offline

HP Smart
Solve printer issues and automatically maintain device health with the HP Smart app. Download the app, add your printer, and select Diagnose & Fix from the Printers pull-down menu to start. See full app instructions.
  • Reconnects printer to network, if possible
  • Resolves print queues and errors
  • Troubleshoots other printer issues
Requires Windows 10 or later, iOS 14 or later, Android 7.0 and later, or macOS 10.14 and later

JessikaV
HP Support Community Administrator

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.