cancel
Highlighted
LaylaL Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Printer spam? Settings changed from English to Chinese? Randomly printing without my approval.

HP ENVY 4524

My printer just randomly started printing. I wasn't even connected to the device although I am the only one who uses it. Each time it printed before I was able to cancel it and turn the printer off it printed pages with a big blue tick in the middle of the page with what I think are Chinese symbols written below. The settings also changed from English to Chinese from the first one but I was able to figure out how to change it back to English. It is still trying to print things without my command, what is going on and how do I put a stop to it?

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
19,265 18,939 1,577 2,637
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Printer spam? Settings changed from English to Chinese? Randomly printing without my approval.

@LaylaL

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand the printer has changed into Chinese and prints on its own, 

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you upgrade the firmware of your printer?

Have you attempted a reset?

While you respond to that, I recommend you try the below steps:

To reset the printer, follow the steps below.

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

5. Wait at least 60 seconds.

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE:

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

9. Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

If the issue persists, please Click here to find and install the firmware upgrade for your printer.

Let me know if those steps worked for you,

If they did, that's awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Jay2020 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It worked!  This happens often, printer prints MANY pages in Chinese, all the same page.  Then it sometimes follows with a slew of  lined pages.  Thanks for your help.  How do I prevent this from happening?  BTW, the tiny little screen still has Chinese print in it.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation