Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5640 e-All-in-One Printer series

Hello,

My printer is shown as online when I log into my Instant Ink Account.

When looking at account status, however, I get a message that the printer cannot be contacted for an update.

Whenever I print something, a message is displayed on the printer telling me to connect the printer to update the instant ink status - the print job will not start until the message is acknowledged.

The printer is connected to the internet most of the time, and successfully prints jobs emailed to it (subject, of course, to acknowledging the above message).

I believe other users have had this problem, and I wonder if anyone has found a resolution.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi @AwalChar,

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

This is a great place to get support, find answers 

I understand that you are facing issues with instant ink.

No worries, I'll be glad to help you.

I have sent you a private message.

Can you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Eagerly waiting for your reply!

Cheers!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi @AwalChar,

Thanks for replying.

To address this message and make sure you receive replacement ink cartridges on time, connect your printer to the Internet, and then verify the connection status on your HP Instant Ink account page.

1. Depending on where the error message displays, touch or press OK on the printer control panel, or click OK on the computer.

The printer attempts to connect.

2. If a No Wireless or Connection Error message displays on the computer or the printer, go to the Wireless printing center (in English) to learn how to troubleshoot problems with your wireless network or Internet connection.

3. Once your printer is connected to the Internet with an active connection, go to hpinstantink.com/signin (the HP Connected website) to sign in to your HP Instant Ink account, if you are not signed in already.

4. At the top of the Status area on your HP Instant Ink account page, click the refresh icon  . Look for a green checkmark and Online to make sure your printer is connected to the HP Instant Ink service.

Figure : Clicking the refresh icon and making sure the printer is online

Clicking the refresh icon and making sure the printer is online
  5. If the printer is connected to the Internet, but the printer status on your Instant Ink account page continues to display Offline after clicking the refresh icon , wait and try again later.

6. If you try again later, and the printer status is still Offline, contact HP Support. On your HP Instant Ink account page, click Chat at the top of the page to open a chat with HP support.

Figure : Clicking Chat at the top of the account page

Clicking Chat at the top of the account page
  7. To find a phone number for HP Support in your location, follow these steps:

1. Click Contact HP Support in the Help Center area of your HP Instant Ink account page.

2. On the HP Customer Support - Contact page, scroll down, and then fill out the contact form.

3. Click Show options.

HP contact options display on the screen.

4. Select Chat Now or Get Phone Number.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful.

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Tried that solution. Same problem.  Print is connected. Instant ink says it's online and knows my print history....very annoying

HP Recommended

Was there a solution to this issue? Instant ink says printer is online and is able to count my printed pages and keep track of print history... but says it can't connect.  Clearly it's connected enough to keep track of my printing history.

HP Recommended

Also, the internet offers no real solution, such as the troubleshooting guide (posted below). That doesn't "fix" it. That's just instructions to connect it, but what happens when it's connected but says it's not? Should I cancel instant ink sub acription or get different brand printer? I'd the problem the printer or the instant ink site? It's not my internet. It's an hp problem.

HP Recommended

I've had this problem on and off and it was getting really frustrating having to always be at the printer to press ok for it to start.

This morning I think I have resolved it.  I logged into Instant Ink and printer was still ofline.  I logged to the http page locally of the printer  and saw that the date was nearly a year in the future.  I synced it with my computer, and within a few minutes all started working again.  From the printer IP page - settings - preferences - date and time.

You can also set the time/date directly from the printer: - setup - printer setup - date and time

Hope this helps somebody with this annoying issue that HP don't really seem to have done much with.  Not quite sure why no NTP protocol that can be easily enabled and forgotten to avoid hitting this issue again.

HP Recommended

You can look up my name in Mr Sam Walton's book regarding Sam's Clubs, one of HP's largest printer customers.  THIS DEAL OF MAKING YOU SIGN UP FOR INSTANT INK IS TRULY A SCAM.....AND SOMEONE IN THE UPPER LEVEL IS GOING TO HEAR ABOUT IT.

@AwalChar wrote:

Hello,

When looking at account status, however, I get a message that the printer cannot be contacted for an update.

Whenever I print something, a message is displayed on the printer telling me to connect the printer to update the instant ink status - the print job will not start until the message is acknowledged.

The printer is connected to the internet most of the time, and successfully prints jobs emailed to it (subject, of course, to acknowledging the above message).

I believe other users have had this problem, and I wonder if anyone has found a resolution.

@AwalChar wrote:

Hello,

@AwalChar wrote:

Hello,

HP Recommended

This worked!! Everyone, make sure that your date and time on your printer is correct.  Mine was set to the wrong year, I changed it and it was fixed within a few minutes. 

HP Recommended

This worked for me

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.