Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 5740
Chrome OS

I can no longer print to my Officejet 5740 from my Asus Chromebook Flip. I printed several times earlier this summer, but the last few times I tried to print, nothing happened. The Chromebook sees the printer and says it's online and ready to print. But I get no action. What could be wrong?

Thanks.

Sheldon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@slrichman

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service (Like a Genie, however, without magic powers) 😉

Did you check if the copier is working as a stand-alone printer?

If you've been using Google Cloud Print or HP Print for Chrome to print from your Chromebook. You do not need to download any print drivers or software from the HP website or Google to print with your Chromebook, however, if you have been experiencing issues, try the below steps:

Step 1: Determine your printer connection type

Printing methods differ depending on whether your printer is connected with a USB cable or to the same wireless network as your Chromebook.

• USB connection: The HP Print for Chrome app supports printing through the Chrome browser to USB connected printers. Simply connect the USB cable, install HP Print for Chrome (in English), and then follow the onscreen instructions to enable the app. Go to Printing with the HP Print for Chrome App for detailed steps and answers to frequently asked questions.

• Wireless network connection: The HP Print for Chrome app supports printing through the Chrome browser over a local wireless network. Or continue with these steps to print over a local network or remotely with Google Cloud Print.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE & SKIP TO STEP 2 ONWARD

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted, as I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, only in case you don't get back to us, first! 

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us, and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@slrichman

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service (Like a Genie, however, without magic powers) 😉

Did you check if the copier is working as a stand-alone printer?

If you've been using Google Cloud Print or HP Print for Chrome to print from your Chromebook. You do not need to download any print drivers or software from the HP website or Google to print with your Chromebook, however, if you have been experiencing issues, try the below steps:

Step 1: Determine your printer connection type

Printing methods differ depending on whether your printer is connected with a USB cable or to the same wireless network as your Chromebook.

• USB connection: The HP Print for Chrome app supports printing through the Chrome browser to USB connected printers. Simply connect the USB cable, install HP Print for Chrome (in English), and then follow the onscreen instructions to enable the app. Go to Printing with the HP Print for Chrome App for detailed steps and answers to frequently asked questions.

• Wireless network connection: The HP Print for Chrome app supports printing through the Chrome browser over a local wireless network. Or continue with these steps to print over a local network or remotely with Google Cloud Print.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE & SKIP TO STEP 2 ONWARD

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted, as I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, only in case you don't get back to us, first! 

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us, and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you. I was able to print using the app, which I had already installed on my Chromebook. In the past, I must have printed without using the app, but now I don't know how? Was I possible printing through Google alone? 

I have another question. I was able to print today after selecting "HP Officejet 5740 Series" from my printer list. But I cannot print if instead I choose "Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One printer Series." Why is that? What is the difference?  I believe that I could use this option in the past.

Thanks again.

Sheldon

HP Recommended

@slrichman

Thank you for replying with this detailed response,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

1. You need to use the print plug-in to be able to print on any Chrome OS, as that works as a driver would on windows,
  2. Are the "HP Officejet 5740 Series" & "Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One printer Series." two different printers? 
    • if not, it's possible the old installation wasn't working which a new installation fixed the issue, you can delete the other printer from the list if it isn't working.
    • If yes, simply remove it and install the other printer again and check if it works.

Keep us posted, 

(We shall troubleshoot as a team, fight till the end and emerge - "victorious")

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I notice that the HP Officejet 5740 does not appear in Google's list of Cloud-ready printers. But it must have been listed at one time, when I installed it a few years ago because when I go to Chrome://devices, my Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One Printer series is shown as "online and ready to print." Yet I cannot print if I select it. I can only print using HP extension and the other 5740 listed. However, these are the same printers. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@slrichman

Thank you for responding,

That said, I recommend the below steps:

A print job sent from your computer to Google Cloud Print does not print.

The reason could be an unregistered printer, outdated firmware, or a connection issue.

Step 1: Make sure the printer is connected to Google Cloud Print

To print from the cloud, your printer must be connected to Google Cloud Print.

1. Make sure your printer is connected to a wired (Ethernet) or wireless network with an active Internet connection.

2. Turn on your printer.

3. Make sure your printer and your device are connected to the same network.

4. On your computer or Chromebook, open the Chrome browser, and then sign in to your Google account.

5. Go to Cloud Print > Printers (in English).

A list of your Google Cloud Print printers displays.

• If your printer displays, try to print. Continue to the next step if you still cannot print.

• If your web-connected printer does not display, note your printer's email address, go to Connect Your HP Printer with Google Cloud Print (in English), and then follow the on-screen instructions. Once you complete the registration, try to print. Continue to the next step if you still cannot print.

• If your non-HP ePrint capable printer does not display, and then download the Google Cloud Print Service (in English) and follow the on-screen instructions. Once you complete the registration, try to print. Continue to the next step if you still cannot print.

NOTE:

The Google Cloud Print Service supports Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP.

Step 2: Update the printer firmware

If your printer is connected to a network and registered to Google Cloud Print, check the printer firmware version. Go to Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware for more information.

I hope that answers your query,

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.