Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Question mark symbol on printer display screen.

HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

There is a question mark symbol (?) on printer display screen.  I can't determine the reason it is there. I don't know if it is telling me my printer has a problem. I can't find information on the question mark symbol.

So far, I have done the following:

1) Turned printer on & off.

2) I unplugged the power plug and kept it unplugged for over a minute before plugging it back in.

3) I booted my system twice.

4) I restarted the print spooler.

5) I did a fresh download of software for my printer.

6) I opened the printer to ensure there are no jams and that cartridges are seated properly.

7) I removed printing paper and put in new paper.

😎 Successfully printed a test page.

9) Prints fine both network prints and PDFs.

10) Genuine HP ink cartridges in use.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 19
Level 19
84,532 84,419 10,674 22,888
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ZaraAudrey

It is the Help icon, touch to it you will see Help information Menu. Nothing wrong with it.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Highlighted
Level 1
1 1 0 3
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Question mark symbol on front of printer where home and back butons are located, Is this okay or is there a problem I need to correct?

Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

how to get rid of the question mark symbol?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
28,460 28,182 4,942 11,141
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You cannot get rid of it, this is the help menu as listed above.

This is a normal feature of the printer to show the help menu and cannot be removed, this is how the printer is designed, see Figure 6 described below:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-6970-all-in-one-printer-series/8289585/model/1...

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
2 2 0 4
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've tried this numerous times, and it doesn't work.  I bought a HP 6978 because I had this same issue with an HP 6968 and thought it was the printer.  Now, it appears I've wasted $108 on something that all the sudden started happening on my HP products.  This seems unfixable.  Unless I can get true assistance from HP, I will be forced to spend another $100+ on a printer, and it will NOT be an HP.  I've had HP printers exclusively.  This is liable to change

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
2 2 0 4
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is of no assistance.  I have a ? and a ? only.  It is blocking any installations or printing.  It starting happening out of the blue.  Please help.

Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation