Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have the same problem with HP 8620 network-connected (not WiFi) to a Dell desktop running recently updated Windows 10 64-bit.  HP Print and Scan Doctor is version 5.2.0.022.  The Scan Doctor worked properly until it upgraded to the current version.  I have completed print jobs in my print queue which don't go away.  The previous versions of Print and Scan Doctor corrected this problem.  I have screen shots.  Please tell me where to send them.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@WaterlooSinger

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the detailed instructions on re-installing the printer driver.  However, I'm curious how re-installing the printer driver will correct the problem I'm having with the latest version (v 5.0.2.022) of the "HP Print and Scan Doctor".  The printer prints and scans (and offline copies) quite well, but occasionally I find a job in the print queue marked "deleting" which does not delete.  For the past several years, this minor problem was fixed by running the Print and Scan Doctor.  A couple of weeks ago, I launched the Doctor to correct the queue problem, and had to wait while it was updated to the latest version.  That is when it began mis-behaving as I described above (Doesn't really get past identifying the printer).  Since the problem started with a new version of Print and Scan Doctor, I anticipate that thesoftware developers find what is 'broken' and release a new version soon.

HP Recommended

@WaterlooSinger

Since you said you have print jobs in the queue which won't go away, root uninstall and reinstall helps in that.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@WaterlooSinger

Did you happen to try the steps?

Thanks

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry to be so long responding.  I was unable to re-install the printer driver software after I uninstalled it.  I went through many different attempts, and finally decided to perform a system restore to a checkpoint prior to my initial difficulty.  After the restore appeared to finish, the computer would not re-boot.  A discussion with Dell support suggested that there is a problem with the motherboard.  A new computer is on order.  Meanwhile, I attempted to run HP Print and Scan Doctor on my laptop which runs Windows 10.  I discovered the same 'probem' that I had found initially: Print and Scan Doctor version 5.0.2.022 does not work correctly.  It loops as described above.  I deleted it and installed an older version.  Print and Scan Doctor 4.9.0.26 does work as expected.  It looks to me as if there is a problem with the latest version of the Print and Scan Doctor.

HP Recommended

Alright. Is the print job stuck in queue resolved?

Thanks.

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Betty610,

Thanks for all your help.  The print job stuck in the print queue is now resolved, but my original posting was because Print and Scan Doctor version 5.0.2.022 does not work correctly.  It looked as if at least one other person was having the same problem, so I am hoping that there will be a new version that fixes the problem I'm having.  Meanwhile, I will have to stay with the older version.

HP Recommended

I'm glad to hear that and you're most welcome.  Let's uninstall the Print and Scan Doctor and you may download the software again from this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/topic/printscandoctor?jumpid=ex_r4155/hho/ipg/ccdoc/trailhead_doc

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The suggested solution did not resolve my problem.  I'll detail my steps.

In the following, each "*" represents a new window appearance.

First procedure:

* Log on with Admistrative account
* Remove current Print and Scan Doctor
* Download version via url supplied.
* Launch HPPSdr.exe
* System asked "Allow App to make changes?" Click "Yes"

* HP Print and Scan Doctor 5.2
  Click "Start"
* Searching for products
* Step 1 Choose Your Product
  My printer was found; click "Next"
* Communicating with HP Office Jet Pro 8620 (Network)
* Step 1 Choose Your Product
  My printer was found; click "Next"

etc (loops on these two steps, never gets to "Select an action".

Second procedure:

* Log on with Admistrative account
* Remove current Print and Scan Doctor
* Copy old version from my archive (file is dated August 2016)
* Launch HPPSdr.exe
* System asked "Allow App to make changes?" Click "Yes"

* HP Print and Scan Doctor 4.9
* There is a newer version available.
  Clicked the 'close' box on this window to prevent update.
* HP Print and Scan Doctor 4.9 <== This is version 4.9.0.26
  My HP 8620 was found; click "Next"
* Communicating with your selected product
* Select an action
  Click on "Fix Printing"
* Finding and fixing printing problems
* Some issues were found and fixed.

At this time I found that the App had been updated to version 5.2.0.022,
even though I had bypassed the update step earlier.
This means that whenever I need to run the Doctor, I will need to
re-acquire it from my archive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.