Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Custom Made 2013
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After a Win 10 automatic Ver. 1903 upgrade my printer no longer worked.  After several root uninstalls & reinstalls, including cleaning out a packed /spool/printer folder, I finally got it working for two days.  On start-up of the third day it was no longer recognised, though Win 10 could communicate with the printer on a diagnostic and listing level.  I installed a new HP 2633 to make sure the printer was supported and have now isolated the problem.  I can run HP Smart, which takes about 90 seconds to complete, and the printer works fine, but if I reboot or restart the computer the printer is no longer recognised by any of the Win. programs.  When you hit "Print" in the print window nothing happens, no error messages either.  Run HP Smart, "Install New Printer" and it immediately recognises all the hardware, software and, after getting a postal code, completes the installation in a total of less than two minutes.

I took 15 screenshots of all of the properties and setting tabs for printers in both Settings/Devices and /Network & Internet for both the Windows printer properties and the HP printer properties and none of them changed between the printer working and after the reboot when the printer was no longer recognised by the programs.  I have tried it both as a Public and a Private computer and it makes no difference.

Installation is opening communication between the USB connected printer, and restart is blocking it.  Does anyone have an idea of what is happening here?   Thanks a ton,  Dennis

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Continued... When I try to print from Notepad I get the error message "StartDocPrinter call was not issued".  In researching the SDP error I found entries to Command Prompt as a solution, unfortunately, they were for Win 8 originally and Command Prompt no longer accepts the terminology originally used.  I also stopped and restarted spooling as suggested and anything else mentioned to correct the issue.  Has anyone had to deal with this StartDocPrinter problem since the Win 10, Ver. 1903 update?  Thanks

HP Recommended

@d-s-n

Welcome to HP support community.

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity

Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.

1. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.

2. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.

• If your printer in not in the list, turn it off and on, and then click Retry.

• If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.

3. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.

4. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

5. Try to print.

Assign manual IP address and that should fix the issue.

To identify which IP address is currently assigned to the printer, do the following:

• Press the Wireless button and Information button at the same time to print the network configuration page.

Setting a Static IP Address

Once you know your printer’s IP address, entering it is pretty easy. Here’s what you do:

HP Printer Static IP Address

1. Run your Web browser.
  2. In the Web browser’s address bar, type the IP address of your printer and press Enter. Assuming you entered the right address, the HP printer control panel should appear.
  3. Click the Networking tab.
  4. Under Connections, click Wired.
  5. Under IP Address Configuration, click Manual IP.
  6. Enter the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway in the appropriate boxes.
  7. Click Apply.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sandytechy20 - Thanks so much for your time.  Note that my HP 2633 is connected with a USB cable as I have no wireless capabilities on my 6 year old custom built desktop computer.  I get my broadband through cable with my tv and phone, which all run through a modem.  Win 10 recognises it as an Ethernet and that is the only network listed in Settings/Networks.  Therefore, I don't know if your suggestion to assign this stand alone printer on a single home computer for personal use is appropriate.  Please clarify that for me.  Thanks.

HP Smart installs the printer in less than 2 minutes and it runs perfectly on all programs, until I reboot or restart the computer, then the printer doesn't respond to commands from any apps or programs, though P&S Doctor can't find the connection problem it can print out an internal printer test page with no problem.  The Windows Printer Troubleshooter tool in Settings/Devices/Printers/Run Trouble Shooter checks about 20 problems, none of which are present in my machine.  I might mention here that three of them show that the spooler is running, nothing is jamming it, and it is communicating.  I mention this as when I try to print something from Notepad I get an error message of "StartDocPrinter call was not issued."

After two weeks of constant digging around my own machine, researching the issue, and endless root uninstall and reinstall of the printer, drivers and software it appears that once the computer is rebooted it seeks authorisation to run the printer, which it is not getting.  I have tried to put a command into the Windows\System32\spool folder, cacls.exe PRINTERS /E /G administrator:C, plus anything else I could try instead of "administrator" such as my user name, etc., but nothing works.

On the diagnostic and listing level, Win 10 communicates perfectly with the printer, but once it is rebooted after installation the programs cannot activate the print function.  This started right after a trouble-free automatic online upgrade of Win 10 to Ver. 1903. 

I did run P&S Doctor again and it went through everything including unsuccessfully trying to print a page from the printer then printing an internal diagnostic page.  It's conclusion was that it was a software problem and I should let P&S Doctor uninstall and reinstall the printer and software, which I let them do.  The install, which switched to HP Smart in the final phase failed on the status section with the comment that "the printer was not on the same network as the computer and should be moved there."  I then then reopened HP Smart and opened "Install New Printer" which it completed the doing in less than a minute from start to finish including the Status section on which the previous install had failed.  It successfully tested it by printing out your reply, above, to my initial query, in case you do want me to assign a manual IP address even though the only network on the computer is the Ethernet for the internet connection. 

Any help you could give me on this issue would be greatly appreciated as others, especially "Trouble",  have spent a lot of time trying to help me to no avail.   It really appears as if the printer was set-up as a network printer by the Ver. 1903 update.  - Dennis

HP Recommended

@d-s-n

This might require remote access of the computer to fix the issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sandytechy20 - thanks for the suggestion.  I actually tried it earlier today during their opening hours.  When I finished the form the Case number box read "Unavailable" and the phone number said not to call without a case number.  They are only open from 0800 to 1700, M-F, here in Denmark so I won't be able to see if I can get a case number until Monday.  The option activation button is only shown on the page during opening hours.  Who knows if it will actually give me a number 🙄

In the mean time, someone out there must have had the same problem or be able to tell me how to give permission to spooling.  There is always hope.  Dennis 

HP Recommended

@d-s-n

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sandytechy20 - I have turned off my computer twice today and rebooted it several times in working through various possibilities to solve the problem of Win 10 Programs & Apps being able to access the printer after a simple HP-Smart reinstall, without a prior uninstall, but after a restart or reboot, not being able to.  I wanted to print out a screenshot, which is stored on One-Drive, formerly Sky-Drive, a Microsoft Cloud account.  It was set-up automatically for me by Microsoft as I have a Microsoft account.  Out of curiosity, I tried to print the screenshot, without reinstalling the printer and to my amazement it worked.  I then tried the other Win 10 programs and the printer worked in them to.

So I rebooted, tried to print out an email, a notepad, etc. and they were all dead - would not print.  I then went to screenshot (Print Screen) folder and tried to print out a shot -- which it did perfectly.  I then went back and all the other programs, email, etc. were also able to access the printer.   If we could figure out how the printer function for the Print Screen captures in the Screenshots folder are able to work after a reboot or restart, when nothing else will, and how it being used unlocks the printer for all the other programs, maybe we could fix this issue.

As it is,  until we figure this out, I simply put a Print Screen capture of a three word Notepad entry into the Screenshot folder and then put a shortcut to the folder on my desktop.  When I want to use the printer after a restart or reboot, I just open the folder and print-out the almost blank message, which turns on the printer for all the programs and apps.  It's even faster than the HP-Smart reinstall.  

Any thoughts on why the cloud folder works with the printer and that turns on all the programs printer access?  Thanks, Dennis

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.