Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 8740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am unable to access the ews for a HP Officejet 8740.  Lock in screen asks for login name and password.  The serve has login name is admin.  Do not know the password and do not know how to reset the password.  I have performed semi reset and still no access to the ews.

I spent an hour on the phone with HP Support.  They could not reset printer to remove the password.  The only fix was an offer to sell me a new HP printer for $250.  I declined the offer.  Apparently, there is no full factory reset for the HP 8740.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @rytrail

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Appreciate you trying these steps. Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding this issue, they should be able to help.

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My guess would be to get in direct contact with HP and see what solution they provide, since I've tried the semi-full reset before and haven't seen someone answer the problem yet.

Usually the method which most of the support community uses to clear the EWS password from other printers is a full-reset, but the 8740 (as well as the other pro 8700 series printers) don't have the full-reset option in the service menu.

I would guess there's either a further hidden option to be able to perform the reset, or it's one of those things where only HP employees have the "keys" to fully reset everything.

Hopefully it's not one of those things where you have to send the printer into them, since I haven't seen a clear solution to that yet, and almost was in the same boat you're in (though I forgot my password, didn't get a printer with one on it unknowingly).

If you find out how to remove the password/do a full reset, make sure to post it!

HP Recommended

No fully factory reset for the HP 8740.   HP Support could not reset the ews password.  Only solution, buy a new printer.  I will purchase a non HP going forward.

HP Recommended

That sucks, I was afraid of that.

Guess I won't be buying future HP printers either, particularly used ones, unless they fix this problem in their future lines.

Only way to ensure the problem doesn't happen I guess is to buy only brand new HP printers & set the EWS password yourself so no-one else can lock you out, or else learn how to script password guesses and bruteforce your way into your own printer.

No option to fully reset though is stupid, especially since that seems to be the go-to fix for the really tough to nail down software quirks.

Shame, since the 8700 printers were quite nice ones too, aside from this glaring problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.