Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
iOS

I have 2 HP 6978's.  When I try to print from my iPad or iPhone to one of these devices, I can't tell which printer is the one upstairs and which printer is the one downstairs.  When I see 'Select Printer' on my iPad or iPhone there are two selections for HP 6978.  Is there a way to change a setting on my printer so that I can tell which printer is which from my iPad or iPhone.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ponyexpress70

Now, you will just have to remove and add the printer back on the computer.

Let me know the outcome.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ponyexpress70, Welcome to HP Support Community!

If you enter the printer IP address in your browser and select the device information section you should be able to change the name. To find the IP address of the printer just tap on the wireless button on the printer.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks TEJ1602.

When I enter the printer IP address into my web browser, it takes me to an HP embedded web server page for my printer.  I then select 'Network' from the top of that page.  And then I select 'AirPrint (status)' from that page.  That then takes me to a page where I can update the default printer name (HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 [557F37]).  So I changed it to 'Downstairs Office Printer'.

However, after I did that, while I could see the 'Downstairs Office Printer' option on my iPhone, I could not print a word document from my iMac.  When I tried to print from my iMac, the print dialog box says the print job is 'looking for printer'.  So now, I can see  and print the 'Downstairs Office Printer' from my iPhone.  But now I can't print from my iMac to the same printer - it's almost like the iMac no longer recognizes my downstairs office printer.  

Thoughts?

HP Recommended

@ponyexpress70

Now, you will just have to remove and add the printer back on the computer.

Let me know the outcome.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It worked!  Thank you so much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.