Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Photosmart 5520
Chrome OS

Trying to use scan-to-email feature on my Photosmart 5520. Appears that the printer can connect to the internet, but every time after I select Document or Photo to scan I get a Server Connection Error: 403 with a message that there was a problem connecting to the server. 

I've set the manual DNS Server address per previous posts on here, but haven't had any success resolving this issue. 

Any ideas to fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@theyawns, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I would like to help you with the Server Connection error you are experiencing. It sounds like you are using a scan to email app from the front panel of the printer if this is to be true follow the steps below-

1. Obtain your printer's IP address

a. This can be done by pressing the wireless icon on the printer.

2. Enter the printer's IP address in a browser.

3. Select the network tab at the top of the page.

4. On the left select networking.

5. Select Network Address (IP)

6. Select Manual DNS Server

a. Manual Preferred DNS should read 8.8.8.8

b. Alternate DNS Server should read. 8.8.4.4

7. Select apply you might get a warning just select okay.

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. Refer to the document HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.

If the issue still persists try the steps recommended below-

1. Select Web Services on the front panel., then Settings.
2. Select 'remove web services' and wait for the services to be eliminated.
3. Once this is complete, you will return to the home page.
4. Select the Web Services icon on the printer and go through the steps to setup Web Services once again.
5. You will be provided a more recent code. Later on, you can utilize this code to add the printer to your eprintcenter.com/ hpconnected.com account utilizing this code.
6. You may or may not be required to create a different email address.
7. Try another scan to email utilizing the app.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@theyawns, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I would like to help you with the Server Connection error you are experiencing. It sounds like you are using a scan to email app from the front panel of the printer if this is to be true follow the steps below-

1. Obtain your printer's IP address

a. This can be done by pressing the wireless icon on the printer.

2. Enter the printer's IP address in a browser.

3. Select the network tab at the top of the page.

4. On the left select networking.

5. Select Network Address (IP)

6. Select Manual DNS Server

a. Manual Preferred DNS should read 8.8.8.8

b. Alternate DNS Server should read. 8.8.4.4

7. Select apply you might get a warning just select okay.

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. Refer to the document HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.

If the issue still persists try the steps recommended below-

4. Select the Web Services icon on the printer and go through the steps to setup Web Services once again.
5. You will be provided a more recent code. Later on, you can utilize this code to add the printer to your eprintcenter.com/ hpconnected.com account utilizing this code.
7. Try another scan to email utilizing the app.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks! I had to go all the way through removing web services and setting them back up. That did the trick and now scan to e-mail is functioning as well as ePrint. 

HP Recommended

@theyawns

That's great! Happy to hear that.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

PHOTOSMART 5520 e-ALL-IN-One SERIES

Printer is connected to internet.

Each time I try to scan to email, I receive "Server Connection Error 403"

No previous problems.

Can you please tell me how to solve this. I have looked at older forums and tried their suggestions with Manual Preferred DNS without success.

HP Recommended

Hi @RobertLB

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the  "scan to email" issue. 

Try the steps below to resolve the server error -

7. Try another scan to email

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

I have tried this. The Manual Preferred DNS did not give a reading neither did the alternate one. i am still getting the error and can't scan.

HP Recommended

Have you removing web services and re-enabling it?

Are you able to make copies using the printer?

HP Recommended

I have tried all the suggestions and still keep getting error 403. There is only a problem with scanning to email. Otherwise the printer works fine. I have already uninstalled and reinstalled it several times. No luck.

HP Recommended

Let's set up scan to email again-

Step 1 Set up Scan to Email -

1.) Click Start, and then click Programs.

2.) Click HP, click the name of the printer, and then click Scan to Email Wizard.

3.) In the Outgoing Email Profiles dialog, click the New button. The Scan to Email Setup dialog opens.

4.) On the 1. Start page, enter the sender's email address in the Email Address field.

5.) In the Display Name field, enter the sender's name. This is the name that will display on the printer control panel.

6.) To require a PIN to be entered on the printer control panel before the printer can send an email, enter a 4-digit PIN in the Security PIN field, and then re-enter the PIN in the Confirm Security PIN field, and then click Next.

7.) On the 2. Authenticate page, enter the SMTP Server and Port Number.

8.) If you are using Google™ Gmail for email service, select the Always use secure connection (SSL/TLS) check box.

9.) Select the Maximum Size of Email from the drop-down menu.

10.) If the SMTP server requires authentication to send an email, select the Email Log-in Authentication check box, and then enter the User ID and Password, and then click Next.

11.) On the 3. Configure page, to automatically copy the sender on email messages sent from the profile, select Include sender in all email messages sent out successfully from the printer, and then click Next.

12.) On the 4. Finish page, review the information and verify all the settings are correct. If there is an error, click the Back button to correct the error. If the settings are correct, click the Save and Test button to test the configuration.

13.) When the Congratulations message displays, click Finish to complete the configuration.

Step 2 Scan to Email - 

1.) Load the document on the scanner glass according to the indicators on the printer.

2.) From the Home screen on the printer control panel, touch the Scan icon .

3.) Touch Scan to E-mail.

4.) Touch Send an E-mail.

5.) Select the From address that you want to use. This is also known as an "outgoing email profile."

6.) Touch the To button and select the address or group to which you want to send the file. Touch the Done button when finished.

7.) Touch the Subject button to add a Subject line.

8.) Touch the Next button.

The scan settings will display on the printer control panel screen.

9.) To change any of the scan settings, touch the Settings button, and then select the desired settings.

After selecting the desired settings, continue to the next step.

10.) Touch the Scan button to start the scan job.

Keep me posted!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.