Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
A neighbour has just got an iPad Air and a HP2540 and asked me to set it up for her.

Can anyone advise how to; given that choosing Begin Setup on the relevant URL (www.hp.com/eprint/dj2540 returns :

Download printer setup guide for hardware and software installation
We're sorry. It seems that there was an unexpected error downloading the software for your printer. Please check back later or you can insert the CD and choose the option "No thanks, I prefer the basic CD installation" when the first screen appears.

I've "checked back later" repeatedly and get the same message.

Is the relevant software/driver available elsewhere? If so, where?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there, the reason you're getting that message is because there is no software driver available for mobile devices. In order to print from the iPad to the Deskjet 2540 you can use the Apple AirPrint feature which is built in to the iOS operating system on the iPad. Just connect the iPad to a WiFi network and then connect the printer to the same network (consult the online guide for how to do this and post back if you're having issues).

When you want to print a photo/email/webpage or document on the iPad just click the action icon iOS Action icon.gif and Print should show as an option. Select Print and the device should find the Deskjet 2540 on the network and you can go ahead and print. Here is a link to all the information you need to know about AirPrint 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02623193

Post back with any questions and I'll do my best to help.

Best.

I am an HP employee.
If my reply helped you, feel free to click on the Kudos button (hover over the "thumbs up").
If my reply solved your problem please click on the Accepted Solution button so other Forum users may benefit from viewing the post.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hi there, the reason you're getting that message is because there is no software driver available for mobile devices. In order to print from the iPad to the Deskjet 2540 you can use the Apple AirPrint feature which is built in to the iOS operating system on the iPad. Just connect the iPad to a WiFi network and then connect the printer to the same network (consult the online guide for how to do this and post back if you're having issues).

When you want to print a photo/email/webpage or document on the iPad just click the action icon iOS Action icon.gif and Print should show as an option. Select Print and the device should find the Deskjet 2540 on the network and you can go ahead and print. Here is a link to all the information you need to know about AirPrint 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02623193

Post back with any questions and I'll do my best to help.

Best.

I am an HP employee.
If my reply helped you, feel free to click on the Kudos button (hover over the "thumbs up").
If my reply solved your problem please click on the Accepted Solution button so other Forum users may benefit from viewing the post.
HP Recommended
many thanks... I was trying to make it harder than necessary!
HP Recommended

No problem at all, glad to have helped. I hope your neighbour enjoys printing from her iPad and feel free to drop by the forum any time if questions or issues arise.

Best

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi I hve got a HP2540 printer I have put the cartridges in plugged it in. Turned it on. The white button is on but the yellow exclamation mark and the 2 buttons next to it which relates to the cartridges is flashing. What can I do? Also how do I connect my Samsung Ipad to the printer?

HP Recommended

Hi sheilaT,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums.  I understand that you are getting an error when trying to setup the printer.

I have included a document about blinking lights on the front panel of your printer.  Also for reference I have included the YouTube video on setting up your printer.

For printing from your Samsung tablet I have included two documents on printing from the tablet depending on the version of Android that the tablet uses. You  can also use Google Cloud Print to print from your Samsung tablet.

Unboxing and Setting Up the HP Deskjet 2540 All-in-One Printer YouTube Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGe17Q-CbWU

Blinking Lights

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03817715

Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean) and Earlier: How to Use HP's Built-in Print Solution for Android

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02817255

Android 4.4 (Kit Kat) and Later: How to Use the Android Prating Solution

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04024231

Using Google Cloud Print with your HP Printer

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02817255

--------------------------
Regards,
Happytohelp
Please click the Thumbs Up to show you like my post or to say thanks!

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
Hi i dont know to much about computer but how can i connect the printe to the same wifi try it but nothing.
If i go to settings then wifi sho me the printer and give me a option to connect but ask me for a psword and i dont have it
HP Recommended

Hi there, I'm assuming you are trying to connect the printer with an iPad? If you see the printer listed in the available networks in the WiFi settgins on the iPad, it means that the Wireless Direct (WD) feature is turned on on the printer. The WD button is below the wireless button on the printer front panel (if the white light is lit it confirms that WD is on). You'll need to print out the WD information page to obtain the password. To print the information page, press and hold the Wireless Direct button for more than 3 seconds. Once you have the password you can enter this in the network settings for the printer on the iPad to connect the pad to the printers WiFi network. When this is done you can print from the device to the printer but just be aware that you won't have internet access on the pad as the connection is just a direct one to the printer. It is also possible to connect the iPad to the printer via a wireless router. Post back if you have one of these and would like to know how to do this.

Best 

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended
My iPad is connected to my Wifi network but I have no idea how to connect my new HP deskjet 2540 to the same network. What am I missing?
HP Recommended

Hi there, take a look at section 7 in the user guide for step by step instructions on how to connect your printer to your wireless network. Post back if you're having problems with getting it setup.

Best

I am an HP employee.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.